PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lily Allen may be homeless for Christmas

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Diplomatic immunity was intended to prevent Govt-employed foreigners from being arrested and imprisoned, beaten and tortured, in the case of fake arrests to further a Govt's personal aim.

It was never intended to be used/abused by them to break laws willy nilly.

I'd tighten it all up. It's not especially "relevant" in our country where, in the main, diplomats aren't rounded up at 3am en-masse, beaten and held in a damp hellhole for 10 years awaiting a fake trial on a fictional charge.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    studentguy wrote: »
    Of course, if you dare care about refugees and try to raise awareness for them that means you must personally let refugees live in your house. What a ridiculous argument.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lily Allen as a person, and this tweet shows a complete lack of self awareness, but that was an unfair criticism from you.
    #

She did say that she would take in a child refugee. AFAIK, she never has done when it is possible to, preferring to rent her place out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-37633937/lily-allen-i-would-take-in-a-refugee

It comes over hypocritical and the use of the word homeless, again, how does that square with people who are genuinely homeless and have not hope of getting anywhere but a hostel.

She does set herself up for this sometimes.
  • studentguy
    Options
    To be fair then in this case she's set herself up for this. I didn't realise she explicitly said she would take in refugees into her home.

It's just that I usually see people react to people standing up and raising awareness of refugees say "why don't you take them in to your house though" - as if the fact that someone doesn't want strangers living with them means they don't want to help refugees.
    Despite my name, I'm not a student any more
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Can't stand her personally, but I thought she had another house somewhere - the Cotswolds? - or did she sell that? I know where I'd rather spend Christmas......and it wouldn't be London :o

Just recalled that a neighbour said that Lily Allen's half-sister viewed their house earlier this year. If she'd purchased it, we could have had Lily staying across the lane for Christmas.....that would have been fun. Not!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Can't stand her personally, but I thought she had another house somewhere - the Cotswolds? - or did she sell that? I know where I'd rather spend Christmas......and it wouldn't be London :o

Just recalled that a neighbour said that Lily Allen's half-sister viewed their house earlier this year. If she'd purchased it, we could have had Lily staying across the lane for Christmas.....that would have been fun. Not!

This one? http://www.cotswolds.info/famouspeople/lily-allen.shtml poor little Saint Lily.

I think she sold it recently so no doubt has a few spare £million in the bank.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    This one? http://www.cotswolds.info/famouspeople/lily-allen.shtml poor little Saint Lily.

I think she sold it recently so no doubt has a few spare £million in the bank.

4.2 million, but she owed the tax man a bit;). I suspect whatever she has left over will get her a nice rental, better than anything most of us could aspire to.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Of course, if you dare care about refugees and try to raise awareness for them that means you must personally let refugees live in your house. What a ridiculous argument.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lily Allen as a person, and this tweet shows a complete lack of self awareness, but that was an unfair criticism from you.

Actually yes. If you care that much and another person doesn't - and you take up the moral high ground, you need to back it up by your actions.

Talk is cheap...
  • Comms69
    Options
    Diplomatic immunity was intended to prevent Govt-employed foreigners from being arrested and imprisoned, beaten and tortured, in the case of fake arrests to further a Govt's personal aim.

It was never intended to be used/abused by them to break laws willy nilly.

I'd tighten it all up. It's not especially "relevant" in our country where, in the main, diplomats aren't rounded up at 3am en-masse, beaten and held in a damp hellhole for 10 years awaiting a fake trial on a fictional charge.

Actually that's strictly not quite true. The point was that diplomats would be immune from prosecution, period.

The whole point is that you can get someone on the willy nilly laws a lot more easily than the 'big' laws.
  • Comms69
    Options
    To be fair then in this case she's set herself up for this. I didn't realise she explicitly said she would take in refugees into her home.

It's just that I usually see people react to people standing up and raising awareness of refugees say "why don't you take them in to your house though" - as if the fact that someone doesn't want strangers living with them means they don't want to help refugees.

It depends on what your stance is. Do you, as is common, call people racist when they don't agree with you?
  • Comms69
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    I think it's civil rather than criminal.
    Congestion charge is the same as council parking tickets. technically it's criminal as it's a statutory charge, not a private one like you might receive for parking at Sainsbury's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport