Ideas For Generating an Income in Retirement

I am hoping to early retirement in a couple of years and am looking at my options now.

I won't have enough saved up to retire without having to work, so I am looking at investing my savings into a business or some other method to generate an income.

I don't have a problem working, I am lucky to be fit and healthy and would actually look forward to working for myself and would rather do this than another 10-15 years slog in the office!

The easiest option would be for me to buy some property to rent out, but BTL has been done to death and I am aware of the risks. I could buy enough property to generate income around £2,000 a month net, which is enough for me to be fairly comfortable.

Other ideas are to buy a franchise, but I have read most of these need 50 hours a week plus put into them to generate a decent amount, £2k would be about the minimum I would want.

Another idea is to go into property development, but it's not something I have experience of doing, so risky!

I currently have my own webdesign business that I do part-time on a freelance basis but it only generates a few hundred a month, I could expand that perhaps.

What other business ideas are there that I can get into for around the £150k mark, ideally less.
Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you have enough money to buy property which would generate an income of £2K net a month, this would suggest you have a large amount of spare capital. I would have thought you might have enough to live on.

On a pessimistic note, you may be fit and healthy now, but in another 3 years time things could be very different.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I could buy enough property to generate income around £2,000 a month net, which is enough for me to be fairly comfortable.

Don't forget to factor in the income tax on that. Catches out a lot of people.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    At my age the cash would only buy an annuity of around £6k per annum so that's not going to cut it.

Peer to peer is an option but risky.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Personally i would be running with a BTL. Income while you need it, and once you reach your twilight years you can sell it and recover your lump sum.
  • Seems like the development of your website business might be a viable option as you currently have the skills and expertise.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport