Spend less now, work less later...

Options
Hello!
I’m starting this diary with two loans to clear (as well as a mammoth mortgage- but I’ll worry about that later!). I’m not a massive spender but I’m not hugely careful either and I could clear my debts much quicker than I will at the moment if I put my mind to it and stopped deciding that my money would be better spent on another meal out...
I live with my wonderful husband and would love to start a family next year. However, I’m very aware that when I have children, I will want to be at home as much as possible which at the moment would be very difficult as we rely on my full time wages to help service our pretty big outgoings.
So the plan is to spend less, pay off our debts, and ultimately get to work less when we have a family.
Wish me luck!

Comments

• EscapingTheAlarm
    Options
    So this weekend I have finally managed to convince DH that it’s time to get rid of these loans rather than plodding along with the minimum payments as we have in the past...
    I think that if we’re careful, we can pay off about £500 a month on top of our normal payments without stretching ourselves to the point of giving in. We owe around £14,000 in total so I’d love to be able to wave goodbye to both of the loans in under two years. Once we’ve done that then we can focus on our mortgage!
    I cooked a roast at home to avoid the temptation of eating out today. Small steps but better than blowing £40 at a pub!
    I need to do some work before tomorrow but am avoiding my laptop as at this time of year I get a huge temptation to look for and buy anything with sequins on...
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    A great goal. Wishing you well with it :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • EscapingTheAlarm
    Options
    Thank you! It’s very exciting to think that I could actually not have loans to pay as I don’t think I’ve ever not owed something since I went to uni!
    I’m suprisingly nervous about the prospect of posting an SOA though as I’m very good at convincing myself that I don’t overspend until I think about telling anyone how much I spend on food each week!!
    I’m sure I’ll find the nerve to do it soon... in the meantime I’m going to keep a really careful eye on what DH and I spend so that I can try and scrape together a few extra pennies to throw at these debts.
  • MissShoes
    MissShoes Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. I'm seeking something similar- a more frugal lifestyle and an escape from my 9-5. One day!

Shoes x
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • EscapingTheAlarm
    Options
    Thank you Shoes! I’ve just had a read of your first few posts on your latest diary and so much of what you’ve said rings very true with me!
    I love little projects but tend to forget about the bigger ones (probably because they’re harder to achieve) and seem to focus on earning more rather than spending less! My husband was really poorly last year though and I think that it’s been a bit of a wake up call that there’s more to life than work and that we should probably do a bit more to free ourselves up!
    When (and how?!) do you plan on being debt free?
  • MeenaM
    MeenaM Posts: 320 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    welcome and good luck! It will def help to keep a budget and for that you need to log everything you spend it's working for me
    paid off £27,527.47 debt free journey began Nov 2017 DEBT FREE 13.09.2019!! EF £3500/£5000
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you done an SOA?
    Even if you don't want to put it up here it can be a useful tool for yourself to work out where the money is going. Especially if it shows up a discrepancy between what you should have left and what you actually have left - a good way to focus on what's really happening rather than the wishful thinking version.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • MissShoes
    MissShoes Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank you Shoes! I’ve just had a read of your first few posts on your latest diary and so much of what you’ve said rings very true with me!
    I love little projects but tend to forget about the bigger ones (probably because they’re harder to achieve) and seem to focus on earning more rather than spending less! My husband was really poorly last year though and I think that it’s been a bit of a wake up call that there’s more to life than work and that we should probably do a bit more to free ourselves up!
    When (and how?!) do you plan on being debt free?

I've been debt free for a couple of years now....but with wanting to leave my job and do something that makes me happy, I'm facing a huge salary drop which is risky.

Sorry to hear of your husband's illness. I think you're right- so much more to life than work. So now I want to have a bit more freedom and space and time with my husband and family rather than working 50+ hours a week in something that makes me increasingly unhappy.

xx
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • EscapingTheAlarm
    Options
    Thank you everyone! MeenaM and elsien you were both right about keeping a budget and doing an SOA. I have just done mine and I have either made lots of mistakes or I have definitely been doing a lot of wishful thinking!!
    Shoes, I should have read to the end before assuming you were still paying off debts... Congratulations on being debt free- I'm very envious! 50+ hours a week though!! That's a lot of hours to being putting in if it's making you unhappy. Good luck trying to find a bit more balance and please let me know how you did it once you have!
  • EscapingTheAlarm
    Options
    So here's my SOA. What have I been spending it on?!

Number of adults in household 2
    Number of children in household 0
    Number of cars owned 2

Income, Expense, Debt & Asset Details
    Income Amount(£)
    Monthly income after tax 2000
    Partners monthly income 2400
    Benefits 0
    Other income 0
    Total monthly income 4400

Expenses Amount(£)
    Mortgage 892.7
    Secured/HP loan payments 145
    Rent 0
    Management charge (leasehold property) 0
    Council tax 161
    Electricity 34
    Gas 34
    Oil 0
    Water Rates 48
    Telephone (land line) 0
    Mobile phone 34.32
    TV Licence 12.37
    Satellite/Cable TV 56.6
    Internet services 0
    Groceries etc. 400
    Clothing 50
    Petrol/diesel 350
    Road tax 5
    Car Insurance 50
    Car maintenance (including MOT) 10
    Car Parking 0
    Other travel 0
    Childcare/nursery 0
    Other child related expenses 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentists, opticians etc.) 0
    Pet Insurance/Vet bills 38.92
    Buildings Insurance 0
    Contents Insurance 22.32 (This covers buildings insurance as well)
    Life Assurance 16.67
    Other Insurance 15.99
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc.) 0
    Haircuts 0 (This, along with most of the other stuff, should come out of the entertainment fund)
    Entertainment 400
    Holiday 0
    Emergency Fund 0
    Total monthly expenses 2776.89

Secured & HP Debt Description Debt(£) Monthly(£) APR(%)
    Mortgage 263000 (892.7) 1.74
    Hire Purchase (HP) Debt 7000 (145) 5
    Secured & HP Debt totals 270000 - -
    Unsecured Debt Description Debt(£) Monthly(£) APR(%)
    Loan 7000 161 9
    DH Car 14000 245 0
    Unsecured Debt totals 21000 406 -
    Asset Description Value (£)
    Cash 1000
    House Value (Gross) 350000
    Shares and bonds 0
    Car(s) 7000
    Other assets (e.g. endowments, jewellery etc) 0
    Total Assets 358000
    Summary

Monthly Budget Summary Amount(£)
    Total monthly income 4,400
    Monthly expenses (incl. HP & secured loans) 2,776.89
    Available for debt repayments 1,623.11
    UNsecured debt repayments 406
    Amount left after debt repayments 1,217.11 (I must have made a mistake somewhere...)

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!
    Just to clarify, I have included my DHs car on the SOA but I have no hope of persuading him to pay it off and settle for one we can actually afford so I'm burying my head in the sand for now and focusing on the ones that I can get rid of!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure