We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I'm disappointed with my slow cooker

1…78101213…17

Comments

  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    squeaky wrote: »
    One of things that first caught me out, especially when making stews and casseroles, was giving all the ingredients a good stir now and then.

    It washes a thin film of liquid up the sides of the cooking pot and, since your pot is heated ALL the way up the sides - it's this that dries up and even burns and so contributes a lot towards the smell.

    Next time - try part filling the pot, give it a stir, then top up your liquids to the desired level and only give a very gentle stir to finish off and avoid leaving a film up the sides at the top. See how it goes :)

    You know what that could be it:T
    Its a burnt (hence electrical) smell with no burn.

    So put it all in & stir before turning on & then just ladle out?
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    No Mrs E you aren't mad or a bad washer-up, I had exactly the same thing. I bought a lovely oval, new, white SC from E Bay (can't remember what make) and the first time I used it I thought it had a nasty chemical smell. I assumed it was just 'new gadget' smell and that it would wear off, but whatever I cooked in it it smelt, and it made the food taste funny too. In the end I freecycled it and got a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker which I LOVE. But last week I got my very old and small, one-setting SC out of the back of the cupboard and did pork cheek in it (which I can HUGELY recommend) and it didn't smell or taste nasty, so I'm wondering if it was just that model of SC - indeed perhaps that's why it was on e bay at such a good price. Is yours, by chance an oval, white one with a removable china crock and 3 settings ? I'm so glad you asked this question because I really felt like such a failure at not being able to make decent food in it, but I really couldn't feed us on stuff that smelt/tasted like that (and filled the house with the smell) :beer:
  • a_sav
    a_sav Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Nice to know that there are others that agree that food from the slow cooker smelt/tasted electrical. Sorry with that and the house smelling of dinner no one ate properly, I gave it away !
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    I bought my slow cooker when I had no hob & oven for a year, & although it was useful, I never really liked anything that was cooked in it
    it all had a kind of, for want of a better way of putting it, 'institutional' smell & taste

    soup was passable, other things edible but not nice, & don't get me started on the travesty that is a whole chicken done in it! one of the most vile things I've ever had the misfortune to experience _pale_


    I gave the cooker away ... to my ex husband :D
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 13,717 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I've found the flavour of stews, etc, better when I've cooked the onions first in a bit of oil like I would do if I was making the dish on the hob in a normal pan. Can use my slowcooker crock on the hob so this isn't a problem. This seems to get rid of the sort of vague acrid backnote I was noticing when I first got the slowcooker & was chucking everything in raw.
    2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
    2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
    Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    No Mrs E you aren't mad or a bad washer-up, I had exactly the same thing. I bought a lovely oval, new, white SC from E Bay (can't remember what make) and the first time I used it I thought it had a nasty chemical smell. I assumed it was just 'new gadget' smell and that it would wear off, but whatever I cooked in it it smelt, and it made the food taste funny too. In the end I freecycled it and got a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker which I LOVE. But last week I got my very old and small, one-setting SC out of the back of the cupboard and did pork cheek in it (which I can HUGELY recommend) and it didn't smell or taste nasty, so I'm wondering if it was just that model of SC - indeed perhaps that's why it was on e bay at such a good price. Is yours, by chance an oval, white one with a removable china crock and 3 settings ? I'm so glad you asked this question because I really felt like such a failure at not being able to make decent food in it, but I really couldn't feed us on stuff that smelt/tasted like that (and filled the house with the smell) :beer:

    Mine is oval but its a brown (huge) Hitachi one.
  • MicheH
    MicheH Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    I am trying to be a fan of my slow cooker but it's very difficult. My children and DH moan when it's slow cooked food, doesn't matter what it is. Reminds me of how I felt with my Mams sloppy corned beef hash. I'm perservering and have rice pudding down to a fine art in it. I guess it's just learning how to use it to the best advantage.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    a_sav wrote: »
    Nice to know that there are others that agree that food from the slow cooker smelt/tasted electrical. Sorry with that and the house smelling of dinner no one ate properly, I gave it away !

    There must be a smell/taste off it & some of us who are sensitive to these things get. I have a very acute sense of smell.
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    MrsE wrote: »
    There must be a smell/taste off it & some of us who are sensitive to these things get. I have a very acute sense of smell.

    me too, MrsE, me too ! and it's not always an advantage I fear. If it's not the make of SC that's doing it (and I think the growing number of people on this thread who agree with you about the smell suggests that it's not just one make) , I think you might very well be quite right about the sensitive nose problem !
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    We don't like stews/casseroles done in the slow cooker either and find they have an odd taste, I much prefer them done in the oven. I do use my slow cooker for rice pudding and gammon joints and they're lovely, it's just stew type things that aren't very nice.
    Dum Spiro Spero
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.