Gym membership cancellation

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, please move it if it is.

Last November, I signed up to a gym membership with my local leisure centre for a 12 month contract.
2 days later I was told that my dad was unwell and 3 weeks after that he died so I ended up not going to the gym.

I finally went in February and I was told that my account was in arrears over £100, but they let me in on that occasion and got my mobile number so that someone could contact me about it.

When I got home, I checked my bank account and the Direct Debit was showing as set up and was in my list of DDs, however a payment had never been taken.
I did not return to the leisure centre again as my mental health suffered further from the loss of my dad.

I moved out of my old address in October to a completely different town.
On 1st November the direct debit took £25 from my account and I received an email from the leisure centre saying that this was due to an accounting error and a number of customers had been affected.
The money was returned 5 days later.

I have since cancelled the DD.

I am now a bit worried that I might be receiving letters at the old address and might end up getting debt collectors on my case.

But as a full 12 months elapsed and they have failed to take payments from me and never contacted me, would they have any right to chase me?

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    esj13 wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, please move it if it is.

Last November, I signed up to a gym membership with my local leisure centre for a 12 month contract.
    2 days later I was told that my dad was unwell and 3 weeks after that he died so I ended up not going to the gym.

I finally went in February and I was told that my account was in arrears over £100, but they let me in on that occasion and got my mobile number so that someone could contact me about it.

When I got home, I checked my bank account and the Direct Debit was showing as set up and was in my list of DDs, however a payment had never been taken.
    I did not return to the leisure centre again as my mental health suffered further from the loss of my dad.

I moved out of my old address in October to a completely different town.
    On 1st November the direct debit took £25 from my account and I received an email from the leisure centre saying that this was due to an accounting error and a number of customers had been affected.
    The money was returned 5 days later.

I have since cancelled the DD.

I am now a bit worried that I might be receiving letters at the old address and might end up getting debt collectors on my case.

But as a full 12 months elapsed and they have failed to take payments from me and never contacted me, would they have any right to chase me?

You can be chased for the money for 6 years.

Your best chance would have been to approach the gym with some evidence and ask if there was anything they could do for you with regards to allowing a cancellation or reducing your payments.

If you don't resolve the issue, your credit file would be affected if they decide to take enforcement action. Charges can also be added to the debt.

I would also check that your membership wasn't autorenewing, as they could chase you for more than 12 months fees if it is.
  • esj13
    esj13 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    You can be chased for the money for 6 years.

Your best chance would have been to approach the gym with some evidence and ask if there was anything they could do for you with regards to allowing a cancellation or reducing your payments.

If you don't resolve the issue, your credit file would be affected if they decide to take enforcement action. Charges can also be added to the debt.

I would also check that your membership wasn't autorenewing, as they could chase you for more than 12 months fees if it is.

Thanks. I’m going to contact them on Monday as it’s clearly an accounting error on their part.
    However I probably could argue with them that they have contacted me about it in 12 months so their lack of action could be attributed to them putting me into financial hardship if they suddenly pop up “hey this hasn’t been paid” even though the direct debit was there and I have always had the money there to cover the amount every month.

It was only when I cancelled it that I realised that they will be informed by my bank so may alert them to the fact the account will be £230 in arrears.
    So I will see what they say on Monday.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family