Claiming PPI

Options
Hi all, We are new to this! We recently sent a claim to an insurance company to try and claim PPI. They wrote back saying 'No' they also seem to think we were claiming for miss-selling (something else we are looking into claiming for that) but in all the paperwork we have received from the company it clearly states that we are paying PPI! Is it best to now complete a 'Plevin' claim or go to the Financial Ombudsman?
Sorry some of you must find this a simple question...
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What insurance is charging you PPI? What did they say 'no' to?

Did you make a claim on the insurance or make a complaint?
  • Elizabeth34
    Options
    Hi the company is now called Assurant and its called an "Optional Payment Protection Insurance". The company wrote back and said that our complaint focuses on miss sale. Although we did include aspects of that we did focus on the fact that we are paying PPI on this policy. The policy schedule for each year shows we are paying X amount a month of PPI per £100 of benefit. We made it as a claim but we are going to look at a complaint as well.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi the company is now called Assurant and its called an "Optional Payment Protection Insurance".

Assurant typically supplied their PPI product via comparison sites and direct sales. How did you buy yours?
    The company wrote back and said that our complaint focuses on miss sale. Although we did include aspects of that we did focus on the fact that we are paying PPI on this policy.

And what is the problem with that?
    We made it as a claim but we are going to look at a complaint as well.

From what you have said, your complaint seems to have failed.
    Is it best to now complete a 'Plevin' claim or go to the Financial Ombudsman?

Plevin does not apply to PPI that is not sold via the same distribution chain as the debt or where the PPI is just normal regular premium PPI.

Unless we know how you bought it and why you think it was missold, then we cannot comment on whether the rejection was fair or not (and whether you should go to the FOS or not)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Elizabeth34
    Options
    Ok so when we were sold the policy it was at the same time as we re-mortgaged our property. The person who provided the mortgage to us was very insistent that our house would be at risk if we lost our jobs. This of course we understand to be true but the amount of benefit from this policy was tiny and not fully explained to us well at the time. Both myself and my wife are teachers with very good financial packages and would we lose our jobs we would have been able to cover our mortgage payments with money left over. Something this policy would have failed to do. We felt pressured to take this policy and feel it was miss sold. In your line of work you have far more understanding than I (hence why we were questioning on here) is it the Financial Ombudsman route for a miss selling now?
    Thanks
  • societys_child
    Options
    Who sold you the policy and in what year?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Is it best to now complete a 'Plevin' claim...

I'm not convinced that you can "complete a 'Plevin' claim" against the insurance company that provided the PPI.

Plevin relates to the receipt of 'excess commission'. Insurance companies pay commissions.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The person who provided the mortgage to us was very insistent that our house would be at risk if we lost our jobs.

That is good. It confirms the person was doing their job correctly.
    Both myself and my wife are teachers with very good financial packages and would we lose our jobs we would have been able to cover our mortgage payments with money left over.
    FOS rarely buys that argument. A loss of one income to the house can cause significant lifestyle changes and stress.
    Something this policy would have failed to do.

Why? The policy would have covered part of the mortgage allowing the reduced income to be spent on other things.
    We felt pressured to take this policy and feel it was miss sold.
    Pressure sales are allowed as long as they do not cross the line. Nothing you have said suggests any crossing of the line.
    is it the Financial Ombudsman route for a miss selling now?

You can but published FOS decisions indicate you would not expect success. Of course, we do not have the audit trail to see. The FOS will. However, less than 1% of PPI complaints are about the distribution you are complaining about. And most of those are rejected. You had the good type of PPI. So, the odds are very low.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • peter_p_2
    Options
    First apologies if I have posted in wrong place as this is first post and I am struggling a little finding how to post in correct place.
    I had PPI through MBNA which in turn used "CPP" Card Protection plan and have been refused compensation as they say it was before a certain date. The financial Ombudsman also refused giving same reason. I have a letter from "CPP" saying that my policy was set up on 24th December 1991 and cancelled on 24th November 2003. They say they have not reviewed my claim as the sale took place prior to January 2004.They say this is the date that industry standards came into force.
    I saw Martin Lewis this week talking about "Plevin" and I understood from what he says I might still be in with a chance of claiming.
    Can anyone give any advise.

Many Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CPP isn't PPI. Plevin is nothing to do with CPP.

The CPP window closed some years ago.
  • peter_p_2
    Options
    Thank you for your reply
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business