Borrow back mortgage overpayment to fund pension?

Options
2»

Comments

• Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    4. Children.
    5. Lots of children.

Mine hoover up industrial quantities of cash.
    At his (?) level of income, if he has any children at univ, then he's looking at £6,000 student loan contribution per child.
    Extra curricular activities in total can be eyewatering.
    School fees...

However, in retirement the little darlings should hopefully be off the books, or largely on their way towards, and costs should (I dearly hope) be dropping down to a 2-person level.

Yup. If my children go to university then I'm sure I will be burning through money for at least 6 years in my late 50s. Thankfully those costs won't last throughout retirement. Then in my 60s I'll need to consider whether I want additional capital to assist with wedding costs and house deposits. At least I can save for the latter in a pension in order to benefit from the tax relief.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another yep here - DD is about to take GCSEs, then she might go to an Indie for 6th form and then has chosen a 5 (or possibly 6) year degree. We will be 58 when she graduates if she manages to avoid having to do a gap year. Hence the plan to retire at 60 once she is an independent adult. Glad I only have one :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ex-pat_scot
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Another yep here - DD is about to take GCSEs, then she might go to an Indie for 6th form and then has chosen a 5 (or possibly 6) year degree. We will be 58 when she graduates if she manages to avoid having to do a gap year. Hence the plan to retire at 60 once she is an independent adult. Glad I only have one :)

This. Precisely this.

Times 4.
  • Sanxxx
    Sanxxx Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reply’s, my takeaways are..

It probably makes sense.
    Consider back filling earlier years.
    Avoid riskier investments.

I do intend to retire at SRA and purely saw this as a tax saving opportunity with growth as a side benefit.

As to what my earnings get spent on.. two kids who I am looking to help with savings for marriage and homes, plus my partner earns and has very little....and personally I like the occasional gadget ;j

Thanks all.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Certainly overpaying your pension makes sense from a tax point of view and at the moment would certainly be more than 2.25% per annum although with investing there is no guarantee.

Make sure the funds are well diversified .

Presumably you will be looking to just withdraw up to the personal allowance or are you going to be looking for a much higher annual income in retirement? Going from £87k gross to a pension will be a big drop even allowing for no mortgage, no NI and no pension contributions.

Are you maximising your partners allowances too? She can transfer 10% of her tax allowance to you as well. Not a huge amount but better than nothing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    However, in retirement the little darlings should hopefully be off the books, or largely on their way towards, and costs should (I dearly hope) be dropping down to a 2-person level.

The Bank of Mum and Dad is expected to trade for many years. If "trade" is quite the verb for a bank that sees only outflows.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am thinking of shutting the doors of th bank of mum and dad.

Uni finished, and sprogs all gainfully employed in good jobs with good pay and pensions. They dont need me.

They are even talking about moving out of the house! That will be sticker shock over the pittance I charge them lol
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Uni finished, and sprogs all gainfully employed in good jobs with good pay and pensions. They dont need me."

Buying a house in London? "Aw, mum, I can't afford the deposit." And then there's weddings.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport