Car Seat

I’m hoping for some advice...,

I brought a car seat for my daughter in July this year. When it arrived it had some cosmetic dents in the fabric I complained to the company I brought it from who contacted the manufacturer on my behalf, the response was that the dents were cosmetic and I was offered a small refund on the seat which I accepted.
In September there was a problem with the latch that stops the seat belt moving I have sent the company videos of this but they say it’s not a fault although the latch on the other side doesn’t stick in the same way. So I now only use the seat on the other side of my car.
Now it’s November and yet another problem the isofix connector is broken more videos sent and they agree this is a fault, they want the car seat back for a week to repair it. This leaves me without a car seat for a week which I’m sure you can agree is inconvenient. I asked to return the seat and get a refund or exchange but they are telling me as it can be repaired and it was brought in July this is not possible. Is this true? What are my consumer rights?

Hope you can help

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your consumer rights are to a remedy if the problem is due to an inherent fault.

Those rights are with the seller. Is that who you are dealing with?

Section 23 of the Consumer Rights Act includes:
    23 Right to repair or replacement

(2)If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must—
    (a) do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer, and
    (b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).
    So it depends on interpretation of 'significant inconvenience'.

If the time taken to carry out a repair causes 'significant inconvenience', then the consumer has the right to insist on another remedy. The other choices being a replacement or a refund. This is explained in note 133 in the Explanatory Notes part of the CRA.
  • Thank you for your response...

As much as I want a new car seat due to all the problems having read the consumer rights statement I think they are following the rules. They are paying for the collection/delivery and for repairs and have stated repairs normally take 7 working days but they will try and turn it around in 5 as realise it is an inconvenience to me to be without a car seat.
    I’m not sure if I can take this further if they are abiding by the act?
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wouldn't be happy with having a child car seat repaired. I would replace it, then put my energies into pursuing at least a partial refund. What brand is it and who did you buy it from?
  • It is a concord car seat, I brought it from a uk company called online4baby
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I’d speak to your road safety department at your council offices.
    They often carry out child car seat checks and they might be prepared to give you their opinion on this seat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure