Old ppi 19 years not mainstream banks

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
2 replies 526 views
Gee_jayGee_jay Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
I took out a loan 1998 60 months paid in full with Colonial finance now Chatham finance I had ppi but was told I would have a better chance of getting loan with ppi.
I have original agreement and letter from Chatham confirming the takeover of colonial .
I have sent these to a claims company and they have told me that the sale took place before the finance company was not regulated , this means Colonial was not required to follow guide lines now set by the current regulator, and this would make my complaint very weak.
And unlikely to be investigated. My agreement states that it is regulated by the 1974 consumer credit act.
Should I forget it or are my claims company cherry picking as they are pursuing my other claims.
Thank you for any input on this.

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claims companies don't cherry pick. They'd fish a half eaten sandwich out of a bin if they saw one.

Given all they do is stick a stamp on an envelope, if they're not even willing to spend 60p on your case, you know it's a loser.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sent these to a claims company and they have told me that the sale took place before the finance company was not regulated , this means Colonial was not required to follow guide lines now set by the current regulator,

Regulation of insurance started Jan 2005. Banks were members of an earlier body. That is why they have to go back further. However, brokers and small lenders do not.

So, considering yours is 1998 and repaid by 2003, the information seems correct.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals