PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    We're a two person household too but I'll use the freezer and if the recipe is for four portions I'll freeze two of them and in the fullness of time have a whole weeks worth of meals in there and have a 'gratis' week of food money to invest in 'futures' for the larder.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My DD works for lush, you can imagine what our house smells like..:p

When I wash her apron, all the laundry in with it comes out smelling like lush. Though it does wear off quickly..

But I agree with air fresheners - I would much rather just have fresh air
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fuds I managed to pick up some 100% Cotton hankies in family bargains before Christmas, DDs had both requested some since moving out of Home and having colds they realised they really do prefer a hankie.

We’ve gone back to basics on food. I suffered from a particularly nasty anxiety bout at the end of October that upset my IBS and gave me a hideous reflux issue. So I’m avoiding gluten (I have a mild intolerance that has increased 10 fold) and dairy and we’ve gone to a meat and potatoes with veg diet, no spice, no sauces, nothing that will set my IBS off. I can cope with pulses but rice is out, Can’t afford gluten free pasta so will go without.

I’m typically buying a chicken or a gammon and that stretches for the week - the menu might be a little boring but it’s making my tummy and digestion better and food is food.

I’m with you on the perfumes and highly scented stuff too, I have a highly sensitive nose to smells and am left gagging at the simplest of things - DD2 loved her body sprays but was made to go in the garden to spray as I couldn’t cope with it in the house. Although I do love the smell of the clementine and cranberry zoflora which I have diluted down in a spray bottle for cleaning my work surfaces, one of the nicest, freshest cleaning product smells I’ve found in years.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • dND
    dND Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    WOW!! Thank you for this! I love the idea of the curd cheese so I'm really going to have to try that. Can I ask what recipe you use for the sourdough using the whey??? As really tempted by this. :j

The Soda Bread is based on a recipe by Delia and really simple - the best sort:rotfl:

450g flour (in my case usually a 50:50 mix of wholemeal and plain)
    1tsp (or a bit less) salt
    1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
    300ml of my 50:50 whey: water mix

I frequently crush a tablespoon of linseed and a tablespoon of sesame seeds and add to the mix.

1. Thoroughly combine the dry ingredients then mix in the liquid - you should get a soft dough.
    2. Lightly knead into a ball and flatten.
    3. Place on a baking sheet - I use the non-stick liners below - and deeply cut the surface. Traditionally it's into 4 but I cut into 8; cutting almost all the way through.
    4. Bake for about 30mins at 220C, covering with foil for the last few mins if it's getting too brown.
    5. Cool for at least 15 mins, wrapping in a teatowel for a slightly softer crust, before cutting.
    It's not a keeping loaf - maximum 2 days but mine rarely lasts the 2 days anyway which is why I only have it as a weekend treat :D

You need to work quickly before the bicarb gives out. I make mine in my mixer these days as RA is beginning to make it painful to do it by hand but you don't really need a mixer otherwise.

I usually make it with non-bread flour as that is what I have to hand but I would guess it might be better with proper bread flour. :rotfl:

I hope it works well for you. :beer:
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • dND
    dND Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone else remember being taught how to clean hankies in Domestic Science lessons? :D

I would imagine there are more than a couple of generations now that don't know how to properly clean them and just chuck them in a 30C wash. :eek:
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dND wrote: »
    Does anyone else remember being taught how to clean hankies in Domestic Science lessons? :D

I would imagine there are more than a couple of generations now that don't know how to properly clean them and just chuck them in a 30C wash. :eek:
    :eek: indeed. I wash them at 60C, and have always been taught to iron them, which I don’t, because I am the only one using them.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The ironing is to kill off any germs that linger, the idea being that the high temperature of the iron will despatch anything lingering in hems etc.
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pooky wrote: »

Can’t afford gluten free pasta so will go without

Have you tried courgetti? I vastly prefer it to all GF pasta and it's low carb!
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    maryB,a solid shampoo from Lush lasts me for about 75-90 washes and I have relatively long hair. Most of the shampoos I used before were more expensive when I broke down the price to how long they would last. Plus in my case as I wash my hair daily it saves on about 10-12 shampoo bottles a year.

Wow, that is good. I tried Dr Bronner's on my hair and didn't like ithe feeling afterwards so I might buy a Lush shampoo next.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2018 at 12:10PM
    Options
    I have been doing well with my minimizing. Am rushing out but just wanted to post this for anyone interested - it's not just environmenental - who wants to be filling their kids with noxious chemicals. It's 1 of 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km-CYcf2ags&list=PLiQmjwY1e5icKM_1j9VMX7u5y5fgpvNOj

Going to check out this shop, which is not far from me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcAKMdX850c
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure