PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• tighteningthebelt
    Options
    Hiya,
    Bisto gravy powder contains barley. Just checked my fairly new packet.

Thanks to all the Sardine Professionals out there, I'll let you know how I go on with the recipes.
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hiya,
    Bisto gravy powder contains barley. Just checked my fairly new packet.

Thanks to all the Sardine Professionals out there, I'll let you know how I go on with the recipes.

Ooh...what are you making with sardines? I need to eat loads of them as good for Osteoporosis
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    Oh, the shame.
    I posted the Sardine Professionals comment here, it was meant for a different thread, so embarrassed.
    Hope I haven't upset anyone. X
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    There's three ideas on the first couple of pages of this thread....
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73842799&posted=1#post73842799
  • Cottage_Economy
    Options
    Just been out got a walk round the garden and noticed I have snowdrops, aconites, and daffodils fully out! What a lovely surprise! Everything is coming up. Now I'm sitting here thinking about what fruit and veg I'm going to grow this year. I still have over 30 leeks to harvest and my box of spinach is still cracking on strongly so lots there.

I don't want to over tax myself this year - living in Lincolnshire means I have access to tons of local fruit and veg cheaply through the town markets, so I've finally twigged that for some veg there is no point growing it.

Dh gets two 25kg sack of spuds a year as a tip so no point growing potatoes. All the brassicas are 50p a head in the market, and the heads are the size of mine so that's a no go. The root veg are equally cheap and large.

I already have strawberries, blackberries, apples, pears, plums, damsons, bullaces, cherries, rhubarb and a couple of raspberry plants. I have elderberries, sloes and nuts in our hedges, and a fig tree to plant somewhere. A bay tree, and tons of thyme and mint.

I think I'll probably buy the basic veg and grow some of the more expensive stuff:
    add some more raspberries (maybe even do a proper bed for them)
    plant some currants (don't have any at the moment)
    french beans
    mange tout
    various lettuce leaves and rocket
    tomatoes
    sweetcorn
    cucumbers for pickles
    butternut squash (I have a pile of pig manure earmarked!)
    parsley, sage and basil

What about you guys? Any Grow Your Own plans yet?
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, I too live in an area with lots of veg and apples. I was never a great gardener, and the arthritis stops me trying! But I have a small raised deep bed that DH built, and I grow greens and salad. That saves me money and means they are nice and fresh. All winter I get spinach and lambs lettuce. In summer I add French beans and mixed salad leaves. Early spring I get living salads from the supermarket to plant out. I also do herbs as they are expensive to buy.
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We’ve got two allotments so just planning our to grow list. We try to grow things that are either expensive to buy or try a different sort of something you could buy, ie round courgettes etc.
    Carolbee
  • Cottage_Economy
    Options
    carolbee wrote: »
    We’ve got two allotments so just planning our to grow list. We try to grow things that are either expensive to buy or try a different sort of something you could buy, ie round courgettes etc.

Courgettes! I forgot the courgettes!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You won't be able to forget them come July/August!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Cottage_Economy
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    You won't be able to forget them come July/August!!

I know! I was so excited last year when I got my first courgette because I had never been able to grow them at the old house.

Come September I was like "Meh, another soddding courgette".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure