PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Serious defects missed in Colleys Homebuyers report

Options
124»

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'd hazard a guess at 5% being something like a brick-built garden shed??
  • AcStar
    AcStar Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for this. Yep when they charged me over £1200 for my survey did not even think it was anything less than the full works - always had full works. But as I said before this was not relevant in repsect of my issues. Interestingly exclusions for certain things such as rot are excluded on top and mid survey.

I am just really annoyed that we have to rely on these people as our only route to a 'safe' purchase.
    And yes - wish I had an hourly rate like that! Its more than my Park Lane Divorce lawyer was charging me in times long gone by!
  • AcStar
    Options
    planning issues - which sadly also meant full VAT had to be paid as well.

I was at the wrong end of every issue - even changes in stamp duty came in and the sales market crashed.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Well - keep us posted....
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    AcStar wrote: »
    Thanks all for this. Yep when they charged me over £1200 for my survey did not even think it was anything less than the full works - always had full works. But as I said before this was not relevant in repsect of my issues. Interestingly exclusions for certain things such as rot are excluded on top and mid survey.

I am just really annoyed that we have to rely on these people as our only route to a 'safe' purchase.
    And yes - wish I had an hourly rate like that! Its more than my Park Lane Divorce lawyer was charging me in times long gone by!

An exclusion clause for "rot" doesn't sound right.

Reading between the lines in your original post where you talk about "following the trail" I'm guessing the dry rot was completely hidden but there was an associated defect which should have flagged up the risk that dry rot might be an issue. As I said before we don't have enough information to comment but it is certainly a legitimate argument although dry rot can be a particularly tricky beast to find and can hide away completely undetectable until you start hacking off plaster and ripping up floor boards.
  • AcStar
    Options
    All this makes me think I was not wrong in being under the impression it was a full survey for £1200
    Interesting my rogue architect was actually only an associate! So many levels to my issues and I should never have been put in this position in the first place.
  • AcStar
    Options
    After 6 yrs I think we may be going to the mediation table.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure