Gas supplier switch meter question

Options
AndyCF
AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 29 November 2017 at 2:47PM in Energy
It seems quite obvious but the answer eludes me.

Currently I have a mechanical gas meter, its the 'odometer' type, similar to older cars mileage reading, so simple to read rather than the very ancient 'dials' type we had a few years ago.

The question is simple: If I switch gas suppliers, will the 'new' supplier insist on a new meter too as its not electronic ? I use 'insist' here rather than 'suggest'

I realise I'll be nagged for a 'Smart Gas' one at this point but I'd rather keep the existing one for the immediate moment. Genuine reasons due to the "interesting shut-off" method of smart gas ones due to them being dual function.

A further note is I pay Gas via 'receipt of bill' rather than pre-pay or anything else like DD.

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Unless it happens to be approaching its certification expiry, no.

You'll no doubt get 'encouragement' to have it replaced with a smart meter as you know, but simply replacing an existing meter with a digital non-smart meter doesn't do anything for a suppliers 'smart quota' and is just an unrecoverable cost so there's no benefit to them swapping it earlier than they have to.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • AndyCF
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    Unless it happens to be approaching its certification expiry, no.
    I think it is about fifteen years old, possibly a bit less as we had the gas meter moved outside in a box from inside when the mains gas pipes were replaced (BG's "street" part of the pipe at their cost, I think there was a small leakage under the pavement or something) , before that it was a 'dial' type one. From memory that one was very old indeed and probably well approaching its "end of life" status anyway.
    Raxiel wrote: »
    You'll no doubt get 'encouragement' to have it replaced with a smart meter as you know, but simply replacing an existing meter with a digital non-smart meter doesn't do anything for a suppliers 'smart quota' and is just an unrecoverable cost so there's no benefit to them swapping it earlier than they have to.
    Oh yes I'd expect a bit of nagging about a 'all shining all dancing smart' at supplier change, just wondered if they would be able to say something along the lines of they "insist" on it being changed. I see what you're saying as if they did fit an LCD one (which I have no objection to provided it does not contain a shutoff solenoid valve) , they would be on a hiding to nowhere in that they would have to be out to change it eventually to a smart one at some future point. :)

Question answered, thank you! :D
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    It seems quite obvious but the answer eludes me.

Currently I have a mechanical gas meter, its the 'odometer' type, similar to older cars mileage reading, so simple to read rather than the very ancient 'dials' type we had a few years ago.

The question is simple: If I switch gas suppliers, will the 'new' supplier insist on a new meter too as its not electronic ? I use 'insist' here rather than 'suggest'

I realise I'll be nagged for a 'Smart Gas' one at this point but I'd rather keep the existing one for the immediate moment. Genuine reasons due to the "interesting shut-off" method of smart gas ones due to them being dual function.

A further note is I pay Gas via 'receipt of bill' rather than pre-pay or anything else like DD.

Such a gas meter is arguably the most popular of all gas credit (non-smart) meters installed in domestic premesis today

gas-meter.jpg

No need to ever worry about not being able to read the screen due to a flat battery with these :)

A change of supplier does not usually result in a request to change the metering. Even if your meter is due for replacement, a change of supplier usually delays that :)
    If a gas meter change really is required, you'll probably get one just like the above as a replacement (unless you request something different)
  • AndyCF
    Options
    That is almost identical to what I have, Actaris too I think, apart from the curious electric 'addon' that is shown. No wiring in mine, nowhere for it to go anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure