Anyone content with storage heaters?

Options
124»

Comments

• halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    So you have three readings on your meter? Do they have details next to them as to what each one refers to? Like Day, Night..or high Low..etc
    Not as far as I am aware, but I do have to rely on other people to read it for me.
    Did you not give an opening reading to your new supplier? It looks like your opening reading is an estimate.
    I wasn't asked for one no.

BG site is still saying 'technical errors' when i try and log in.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 March 2018 at 8:07PM
    Options
    hmm - they may have stopped you being able to accessing it. Sometimes you can log in but it says account closed but you can see previous bills.

---

Back to you meter readings.

First thing that stands out is that you are on a single rate.

All the rates you mentioned state that it costs 0.1152 per kwh

This is 11.52pence per kwh. This appears to be a single rate.

---

However your meter appears to have two readouts. You bills mention "two registers" (1 and 2). So it seems like there are still two readings.

Now, if you are on a single rate tariff, then they normally combine the meter readings to make one reading. It is hard to say if they are doing this.

What is apparent is that you are only submitting readings for one register. All register 1 readings have at least come Confirmed readings. Apart from the opening ones which are Deemed (which still infers estimation) all of register 2 readings are estimated.

----

The fact you cannot access the meter yourself complicates things.

----

One thing is apparent to me. If you have storage heaters, you should not be on a single rate tariff. This will cost you a lot in the long run.

----

These are the things to do.

1) First, you need to take a picture of your metre, or see it foryourself. You need to find out how many readouts it has. One or Two....

Then.....

Ring British Gas, ask them to access your old account.

Ask them for:

1) The type of tariff you were on when you were with them. Was it a single rate tariff? An Economy 7 (E7) tarrif?

2) Ask them for your estimated annual consumption when you were with them.

3) Ask them to give you all the confirmed or actual meter readings and the dates they were taken.

----

Ring your current supplier (or email).

Again:

1) Ask for the type of tariff you are on, E7 or single rate?

2) Ask for all the confirmed meter readings that were submitted and the dates.

---

Finally- are you sure you have storage heaters? These are usually identifiable by having an input and output controls. They are normally fairly large and fixed to the wall.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    halogen wrote: »
    Lovely idea but it looks like it only works with gas...

Did you even read the page I linked to?
    The Pactrol "Weather Watcher" automatically adjusts the amount of heat stored in an off-peak heating installation in response to changes in weather overnight. It can be used in conjunction with a suitable load-switching contactor to control storage radiators, fan assisted storage radiators, electricaire, or underfloor heating installations supplied with off-peak or white-meter electricity packages.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 March 2018 at 1:18AM
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »

To be fair, it sounds like the person is very very unsure of their set-up, how it operates and how much energy they use.

From what I can infer, it sounds like they may have storage heaters, some of which do not work, with an E7 meter but on a single rate tariff.

So they really need to figure everything out and their usage. Additional devices at this point may be running before they can walk, hence their confusion as to how it works.

They seem to be very confused....and may need actual physical help to get everything sorted.

Perhaps contacting citizens advice maybe a good place for them to start.
  • halogen
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Yes i did. It said you needed a gas safe registered jnstaller so i assumed from that.
  • halogen
    Options
    To be fair, it sounds like the person is very very unsure of their set-up, how it operates and how much energy they use.
    lol. Yes. It was easy with BG. Submit readingss when they asked, direct debit takes the money.. should never have switched.

Perhaps contacting citizens advice maybe a good place for them to start.
    Not really an option where i live. Last i checked they visit once a month on a Thursday

The one thing i am sure of is that i do have storage heaters. :-)
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Katie-Kat-Kins Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    I have night storage heaters, and when I first moved in I thought that they were awful however there is a lot of scaremongering and misunderstanding out there and they really aren't that bad.

Our house is a bit on the cool side (but we could turn the heaters up higher if we were happy to pay a bit more) and we do top up with some other heaters at times.

Our bills are higher than if we had gas central heating BUT we do not have the cost of boiler servicing and replacement, or the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, taking this into account it is probably pretty equal.

Gas prices are only likely to go up in future as supplies run lower so electric heating is likely to become more competitive.

Renewable energy may also become more accessible which could help to lower electricity prices. In future smart meters may make time of use tariffs more attractive and more cost effective. If you can get solar panels or a turbine then this would offset the costs nicely.

My advice would be, get familiar with how your storage heaters work and your tariffs so that you can make the most of them. We have an E10 type tariff so get more time to charge the heaters on cheap rate, but the rates are more expensive than basic E7. Make sure your house is well insulated and that you have enough of the right size heaters, if your house is getting cold in the evening consider adding an extra heater or increasing the size of an existing one.

Make sure that you have top up heat available, and suitable heaters in the kitchen and bathroom. We have a small fan heater in the kitchen and bathroom which we can use to take the chill off when you first go in the room in winter and a spare heater to use elsewhere if necessary.
  • halogen
    Options
    Brilliant. Thanks for your help everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure