PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style Advent Calender...

Options
2»

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Its a lovely idea and I am not knocking but what is wrong with the alternative way.

My son has a lego advent calendar he is not spolit at Christmas I take the cost of the calender out of the whole Christmas budget. He also has a christmas eve hamper again the cost comes out of the whole budget, these are not extras they are just spreading the cost. I also got myself a beauty advent calander and am not going to feel guilt for it, I can afford it why should I begrudge myself a treat. Not everyone is in debt and if by buying these things you are not making yourself short, why not?

My son loves his advent calender I think he gets more joy about opening that and a little toy each day than he does his bigger things on Christmas day, he also plays with it every day adding a bit as he goes along to the set. Personally I don't see what is wrong with that?
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    My mum has bought herself a posh chocolate one this year for over £60 :eek: I try not to judge , but you know , it's hard :D

Why should you judge your Mum treating herself? can she afford it? is she going to be in debt due to it or eating beans for the week to afford it? If the answer that is no, its up to her what she spend her money on.

PS do you have a link to it? I personally I couldn't justify that amount myself but good luck to those who have more disposable income than me I don't begrudge them.
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Last year some friends bought our son a playmobil advent calendar for his birthday which is at the start of December and I think he got a lot more fun out of getting a little bit of his toy every day than all in one go. He's played with the toys all year as well so it was longer lasting than a chocolate one one would have been!

We're not going to do elf on the shelf as such in our household but we are going to have a visit from the kindness elf who asks the child to help them do kind things every day. I'll be pinching some of these ideas from your advent calendar I think. :-)

As for beauty advent calendars, I'm not a great user of cosmetics myself but my friends who are tell me they work out a lot cheaper than buying all the individual products.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why should you judge your Mum treating herself? can she afford it? is she going to be in debt due to it or eating beans for the week to afford it? If the answer that is no, its up to her what she spend her money on.

PS do you have a link to it? I personally I couldn't justify that amount myself but good luck to those who have more disposable income than me I don't begrudge them.

It was meant in a lighthearted way ;) she can easily afford it and I certainly don't begrudge her buying it! I don't have a link but it was probably from hotel chocolate as they are her favourite.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    It was meant in a lighthearted way ;) she can easily afford it and I certainly don't begrudge her buying it! I don't have a link but it was probably from hotel chocolate as they are her favourite.

Sorry I was a bit defense in sticking up for buying advent calenders. I love hotel chocolate, I bet the contents are worth more than that.

I really like what the OP has done its a great idea. I might do something simular next year, alongside a bought calender. I don't see the harm in doing both.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No need to apologise for sticking up for buying calendars, my dd has aspirations of beating the vicar of dibley this year with her "collection" :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure