PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style Advent Calender...

kippers
kippers Posts: 2,053
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 28 November 2017 at 9:04PM in Old style MoneySaving
I dont know about anyone here but im fed up of seeing rediculously expensive advent calenders with wine, lego, expensive chocolates, make up etc on sale.....i think this will cause a lot of un nesserssary misery to parents on a budget........so i thought i would share an idea that we will be doing in our house this year....

I have made a calender with 24 'small, random acts of kindness' - each day we turn a page ( or open a door ) and there is a random act to do. I made some things up and googled other things.... Eg

Smile at someone today
Say happy christmass to someone today
Ask someone how their day is going
Share a happy christmas memory today
Open a door for someone today
Give out free hugs
Tell someone how much they mean to you
Donate some food to a food bank

Etc etc until you have 24

Im so looking forward to sharing this calender with my family

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Great idea! Share the full list when you’ve completed it, please?

After 24 days, random acts may even become a habit. If everyone in the world did the same...:A
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lovely idea.
    And I quite agree about some of the ridiculously expensive advent calendars I’ve seen this year too.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd just stick chocolates in it, then scoff them .... mostly on day 1.

:)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2017 at 9:09AM
    Grumpy old woman alert.

First let me thank you kippers. This is an inspired idea. I am am trying to compile a list to add to yours. So far I've just got...phone someone who can bore for England but you know is lonely, let someone go ahead of you in the supermarket queue, send a quick note to someone who has been bereaved this year as they will be feeling far from festive, invite a lonely neighbour round for a cup of tea, give a baby-sitting 'voucher' to a harassed mum....it's a work in progress.

Now the grumble.

When did expectations rise to the ridiculous heights they have achieved lately? When did the sheer joy of being with friends and family disappear under the ,mountain of lists,, shopping, frenzied cooking and debt. When did advent calendars involve a gift every day for every child.

OK, when I was a child, advent calendars hadn't been invented, either that or there wasn't room for one in the Anderson shelter. When my children were small we had one calendar for all of them and there was just a small window that opened to reveal a different Christmassy picture every day...a star, a cracker, fir tree, stocking...... until Christmas Day when we lit a candle and opened the last big window to reveal a nativity scene. It seemed exciting enough then.
    Those children are now parents themselves and THEIR children expect numerous calendars each, all with chocolates, toys or toiletries etcetera every day.

I know that I'm old and cynical, but where is this all going to end? When is enough ever going to be enough?
    In my gloomier moments I imagine that there will be some catastrophe that will reduce everything back to its simplest base line. Maybe it would make us happier in the long term.

I bet that has added to your Christmas spirit. Sorry.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,053
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2017 at 9:34AM
    monnagran wrote: »
    Grumpy old woman alert.

. So far I've just got...phone someone who can bore for England but you know is lonely,

I bet that has added to your Christmas spirit. Sorry.

Actually that really made me laugh and I totally agree with you.

I came up with this idea as an extra to my '12 dates of Christmas' for my family (me, dh and my two dd's aged 18 & 19). The '12 dates of Christmas' is for family fun eg. a facebook video to say happy xmas to friends/ family, a meal in town (courtesy of tesco vouchers), each give a presents to 'toys on the table' charity, go to see the xmas lights, decorate miniture gingerbread houses competition (I will make the g/houses) etc etc - these are the bigger things.

So for our family I chose SMALL acts of kindness that we can do easily day to day at work and home and I thought it would be fun to discuss them around the dinner table each night.

These are some of the things I have written but you can make up any to suit your family and time schedule (there are loads on line if you are short of ideas):

Tell your parents about a happy memory with them.
    Tell a joke to someone to make them happy.
    Write a nice note to someone and leave it where they will find it.
    Thank someone in your family for loving you.
    Give complements to as many people as possible today.
    Hold a door open for someone today
    Smile at as many people as possible today.
    Gift some pet food to the RSPCA.
    Buy some food to donate to the food bank.
    Give out free hugs today
    Write a thank you note or email to someone
    Tell someone something you appreciate that they do or did for you.
    Ask a loved one about their day and actually listen to their reply and ask questions
    Write three things you are grateful for on a post it note and stick on the fridge for all to see
    Write a ‘positive’ note and give it to a family member (i.e something positive about them)
    Tell someone why they are special to you
    Go a whole day without complaining – only positive language allowed
    Do one thing today that YOU enjoy
    Tell someone you love them
    Say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ today and really mean it
    Discuss a happy family memory from your childhood
    Say ‘Happy Christmas’ to as many people as possible today (or ‘Have a lovely Christmas’)

I printed it out - (a separate piece of paper for each day) and it will be hung up for everyone in the family to see it. But it can all be done on one handwritten piece of paper if you wanted - it doesn't matter how its done.

If I can possibly figure out how to upload photos i'll post the photo on here lol

Hope this helps someone out there XXX
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,910
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Monnagran I remember those advent calendars with just a picture behind them. We had a couple as children......... and they were re-used for years. I even remember (40+ years later) that one of the doors was a bit damaged and had a fold across it.

I remember the chocolate ones appeared when I was maybe something like 10 or 12. We had one between two of us. I made the mistake of opening day 1..... so my brother got the big chocolate on day 24. I think that was the only one we ever had, however at least I remember it, which is more than most kids who get one every year will.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    monnagran wrote: »
    ...... When my children were small we had one calendar for all of them and there was just a small window that opened to reveal a different Christmassy picture every day...a star, a cracker, fir tree, stocking...... and opened the last big window to reveal a nativity scene. It seemed exciting enough then.........

Yes, that is what we had too :) My sister and I had a lovely one from our grandparents one year, shaped like a cuckoo clock. We opened alternate windows until 24th December when there were 2 doors to reveal the nativity scene. We used it for many years until it was falling to bits. Never did manage to persuade our 'cruel' parents that one each would not cause utter destitution :o

I still get an 'old fashioned' cardboard calendar each year and photograph the window each day on my Facebook page.... I get to open it all myself though :D
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,893
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I understand where you are coming from, but if you can afford it and enjoy it then why not?

My calendar from my mum is always an old fashioned one with pictures, this year of Canterbury cathedral. But I've also made some for my kids and aunt and mum this year with lots of little treats collected through the year.

The best calendar I ever had was homemade by my grandad when I was little, I loved scary stories so he made one and painted little pictures behind each door of nasty things, a hangmans noose, a bloody dagger etc. Probably not the most festive idea but I loved it :rotfl:

Im happy making the effort and spending a bit of money if it's appreciated by the kids, if I take wasn't I'd soon stop! I would assume that lots of the crazily expensive calendars are bought by adults for themselves? My mum has bought herself a posh chocolate one this year for over £60 :eek: I try not to judge , but you know , it's hard :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • soblivion
    soblivion Posts: 1,169
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you for the post kippers, how wonderful to read. A lovely idea.
    I have a brand new first grandchild, he will be 6 months at Christmas.
    I wanted to mark the occasion of his first advent but 24 baby toys was a definite no and obviously no chocolate so I bought a cheap basket and 24 books - they are bedtime story books that mum and dad can read to him for many years to come and then he can read himself after that. I just got some brown paper and wrapped each one and stuck on some numbers and stickers to pretty it up a bit.
    The books were cheap from a store I don't know if I can advertise but they are lovely books.
  • Great post.

Also annoying new trend is 'Elf on the shelf' as this seems to imply there are presents throughout advent, and also Christmas Eve pyjama hampers.

I'll go and sit with Monnagran on the grumpy step.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family