Not full damage agreed

Options
I had an accident with myself and a house over the road reversing off our drives at the same time. It is a 50 /50 claim as neither us was aware of each other. Due to being on a main road, her rear collided into the side of my car at speed as she had to reverse across 2 lanes at speed to get off in between cars. My car was shunted to the side and caused the full length of the drivers door to crumple as their rear hit my side.

We informed the insurance companies after work the same night.
At the time, I thought the door was the only damage. Next day, when opening the passenger door, I could see the damage to the drivers seat (not visible from drivers side) - the seat had separated from base to back leaving a large gap and the seat levers are broken plus mechanical seat parts exposed.

Informed insurance company next day who advised me to report to the garage as not on original claim.
To fast forward, insurance company engineers have advised they do not believe damage to seat could have been caused by the accident and therefore will not authorize repairs.

Where do I stand? How do I prove that the seat and car were in a excellent state before accident?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Instruct an independent engineer and see who he agrees with and take it from there
  • brokeparent
    Options
    I have asked my own insurance company to do that or use their own engineers (they are using sister company Auxillis for the claim). I think the trouble is the garage at the time did not forward it with their quote to the insurance company when they first inspected although they took photos- saying they would take it apart when car brought it for door repairs and do a subsequent claim then. It is the subsequent claim that the insurance company have refused.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It sounds like your insurer has used an independent engineer, who has advised that the internal damage is not related to the advised peril.

Instruct an independent engineer to review, as advised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure