downloading emails on phone on public wifi. Safe?

Options
2»

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    were wrote: »
    Think it was a man in the middle?.

Yeah possibly . A rogue AP (or "evil twin" as they are known :) )

The user would stiull have had to knowingly click "yes" to install the app though. But could easily be tricked into doing this ..
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,999 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    OH has now found trojans on his work computer....that he has used to log in to the credit card website. :mad:

So that explains a lot. No doubt he would have used the password that I use for emails for other review sites we both use, even though we were careful to use a different password for the credit card account.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    yep ......
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Are you using lousy email settings? Like POP3 and SMTP? Providers like Karoo (Kingston Comms in Hull) use plain language email, including the log-on, which offers no security at all. I'm sure Karoo aren't the only email providers who are clueless about security.

Free WiFi is a known security issue, which is why many of us use a VPN to keep hotel/bar/shopping centre WiFi connections secure.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you using lousy email settings? Like POP3 and SMTP? Providers like Karoo (Kingston Comms in Hull) use plain language email, including the log-on, which offers no security at all. I'm sure Karoo aren't the only email providers who are clueless about security.

Free WiFi is a known security issue, which is why many of us use a VPN to keep hotel/bar/shopping centre WiFi connections secure.
    I think you may be jaded by Karoo's poor service.

POP and SMTP use encryption as standard these days. A quick scout around tends to point to Karoo being in a very small minority (the only one I found) that don't bother with encryption

You consider SMTP to be 'lousy'. How do you send emails? Even using IMAP outgoing email is sent via SMTP

Whether you use POP or IMAP, the incoming the servers are normally set up the same for both when it comes to SSL/TLS. Which you use depends on how you want to use it. Each have their merits as each have their downside.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    I think he/she means that they dont use ssl for the web interface.

So everything is sent in plain text

Incredibly enough, Yahoo and many others didnt do this either until quite recently
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    I think he/she means that they dont use ssl for the web interface.

So everything is sent in plain text

Incredibly enough, Yahoo and many others didnt do this either until quite recently
    I thought email client due to the mention of POP & SMTP, protocols that are immaterial when using webmail.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    Yeah but as we both know, this statement "Are you using lousy email settings? Like POP3 and SMTP?"

Doesnt really mean anything (no disrespect to poster)..

So i kind of extrappolated out :)

BUT .. Looking at the interface now (logon page at least) , it does offer SSL currently, so i may be confused
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure