Plevin commission set-off help!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
1 reply 643 views
CS78CS78 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
Hi,
I am in a Debt Management Plan with Stepchange due to unemployment. I received a letter from Capital One re: Plevin from PPI I had over three years ago (Before I got into debt and while I was still working). I put a claim in and they have awarded a redress but "applied it to the account in reduction of any over limit amount or defaulted balance on the account".

Advised to write in if there are financial difficulties or if redress required to pay priority debts. Am drafting a letter and would like advice, have printed anything relevant. Surely if I am in a DMP that should be evidence enough of financial difficulty? Also, I phoned Capital One as soon as the difficulty ensued at start of 2017 and kept them informed re: Stepchange etc. The redress is in relation to compensation they charged me way before 2014 when my payments were always ample and on time. Help and thanks in advance!

Replies

• edited 27 November 2017 at 5:59PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 27 November 2017 at 5:59PM
    They are allowed to offset PPI (or Plevin) redress they award against any unpaid debt you still owe them.

Your current financial circumstances are no indication of current financial hardship as you are already on a Debt Relief programme.

So you need to construct a compelling case that you need the money for priority debt etc and you may have some luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides