Carers allowance and dependents

Options
Hi,
I am pretty new to all this carers stuff and if I am honest I am lost in a minefield.
Currently I recieve carers allowance for looking after my son who is 6, he gets middle rate care and lower mobility.
If my husband were to give up his job or change to a part-time job so as to relieve some of the stress off me as not only do I have my special needs son who needs total watching at all times during the day, I also have other children and there is just not enough of me to go rond with the intense caring I am required to undertake. Would I be able to claim the dependents part of carers? If so how does this work in relation to IS or does the dependenst part only work if DH works part-time earning under £175 per week?
Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!

Comments

• suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    This is a real stab in the dark as I don't have my books at home but I have a feeling if he earns more than the amount of the dependants addition (£29.05) then you won't get it.

Hopefully someone else with experience of CA will put me right
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Carers allownce is a flat rate of £48.65 a week for one carer. Dependants addition http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/carers'/introduction.asp

If your partner reduced how much he works your tax credits may go up a little I think next year.

Your parner could claim the carers allowance INSTEAD of you but not aswell as, only one carer can claim per person on DLA, he would need to be working under 16 hours, earnings were lower than stated amount a week and looking after your son for 35 hours or more. If neither of you were working I suspect that DWP would probably say that one parent who is not the carer would need to claim JSA rather than the family claiming income support, just based on experience of other cases in my area. Then of course your national insurance payments would not be made as it would if you claimed the carers allowance.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • cwp500
    cwp500 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    I am pretty new to all this carers stuff and if I am honest I am lost in a minefield.
    ?

Am not too clear where you are in the uk but my advice first and foremost would be to look in the phone directory for your local Carers Centre, they are charities run by the Princess Royal Trust and can offer not only benefits advice but also help you as the Carer to have an independent existence and take advantage of various things. For example, days out, complementary therapies, assistance with external care agencies, befriending schemes and many other facilities.
    If you cant find one locally, the uk head office number is

020 7480 7788.

There are 100 centres in the uk and it really is worth getting in touch. they are able to make referrals and can offer you guidance and advocacy with social services if necessary.

Secondly, use your local citizens advice bureau, but try a Carers Centre first.

I know this is a huge post but I am not sorry as too few people; MEN TOO! use the service and they can really help.
    :o Keep trying.........................what else is there to do? :o
  • cwp500
    cwp500 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    They are centres for adults and are totally non judgemental. services are not means tested and the person you care for can be anybody; relative, friend, partner.
    Please use their services. I would again stress to male carers not to feel embarrassed or reluctant to get in touch. Caring is a burden and the centres will never turn anyone away. no caring issue is trivial.
    :o Keep trying.........................what else is there to do? :o
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    OOooh thanks I just rememberd there is a place called cis or something just down the road! I will call them up and ask, my life is SO compliced and I really could do with the advice with regard to options. I can cope fine with the other 4 kids on my own, its just when my son who gets DLA is there too, I just dont have enough hands (2 toddlers a buggy, 8 yr also old with probs and 10 yr old) and often feel like the other 4 are missing out due to DLA son needing guiding/watching.. Its hard enough being a mum as it is but when life is further complicated..
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure