We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

cheap decent sized tree

Options
andrewf75
andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Where can I get a decent size tree without spending a fortune? Looking for something to screen the back of my garden. Haven't decided yet what species.

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where do you stay? Look for a trade nursery and try to open an account via someone you know who has their own business!
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Probably a garden center,where abouts are you,how much do you want to spend,how big a tree do you want and what size do you want it to grow to?
    Need more info.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • andrewf75
    Options
    Thanks, Im in Oxfordshire. Will have a look
  • andrewf75
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Probably a garden center,where abouts are you,how much do you want to spend,how big a tree do you want and what size do you want it to grow to?
    Need more info.

Not after something massive, but maybe 2m? don't want to spend more than £50
    What I've seen seems to be a few hundred quid for a large potted tree or £10-20 for a very small one. Am kind of looking for something inbetween if possible.
    In terms of ultimate size height is no issue, but not too wide, so I've considered birch, rowan, scots pine, holly, evergreen would be better.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    These people have a tree finder which might be useful:

https://www.chewvalleytrees.co.uk/

I've bought hundreds trees from Buckingham Nurseries, bare rooted, but I realise you are looking for fairly quick results and something more choice than native woodland stuff. Trees I've bought for a tenner like that have taken 4 years or so to start making a statement, (e.g. fastigiate hornbeam) so you can see why they have to charge much higher prices for more mature potted plants.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    Not after something massive, but maybe 2m? don't want to spend more than £50

We've been pleased with the trees and shrubs we've bought from https://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/collections/ornamental-trees

You can narrow down to suitable trees by using their filter.

Example: 3 year old, 8ft high Silver Birch £49.99.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure