Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

MSE News: Budget 2017: Chancellor to unveil Government spending plans - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MSE News: Budget 2017: Chancellor to unveil Government spending plans

edited 22 November 2017 at 2:49PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
21 replies 12.8K views
13»

Replies

• I bought my first home in April this year. However, it was a shared ownership property, and i was able to afford 65% of it.

The total price of the property was £295,000, meaning my 65% share was bought for £191,750. On that price, my Stamp Duty cost came to £1,335. Had i opted to pay the entire stamp duty bill for 100% of the property, i would have paid £4750, but am very pleased i didn't take this option!

So, were the value of my property to stay at £295,000 when i come to staircase up to 100%, would i have to pay Stamp Duty on that remaining 35% (£3415), or am i still classed a first time buyer and under the £300K mark, so will i get let off? Can find the answer to this anywhere!

Thanks, Simon
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support