PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renewal fee rental

Options
2»

Comments

• stopherlogic
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, think the rolling tenancy is a good option. The landlord seems pretty decent so we will sort it out between us. Don't mind the rent increase just can't justify that amount for changing a couple of numbers and printing out the contract again.
  • PropertyFag
    Options
    Agents have been pulling this stunt for ages, and it's a complete rip-off! Also, they typically charge both landlord and tenant the renewal fee, which is criminal.

I would do as others have suggested- allow the tenancy to roll onto a periodic tenancy.

You mentioned that the fee isn't in your tenancy agreement, which is normal. However, the fee should be clearly stated in the contract between you with your agent (not your landlord i.e. the tenancy agreement). If the renewal fee isn't clearly stated in there, then they can't legally enforce it.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our tenancy agreement (at the time) referred to L.A. charges available on their website. Meant that they were always accessible and I had signed to say I knew where to find them and agreed to those costs. They have never been written into my tenancy agreement as a monetary value with any agent I have ever rented from.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The fees don't have to be quoted in your agreement, you'd be negotiating a new agreement. Your options are

1) Agree, pay the fee, sign the new contract, LL can't evict and you cant give notice for a further 12 months

2) Don't sign anything, and automatically go onto a periodic tenancy (per the clauses in your current contract if CPT, else SPT). More flexibility for you to give notice but LL can give 2 months notice (and then ~30weeks before you're evicted) unless the CPT says otherwise. Rent can be increased according to rent review clauses or section 13 notice or by you and the LL just agreeing and starting a new rent.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    or

3) agree to sign new contract if the waive or reduce the fee.

Read:

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
  • sennypijama
    Options
    HampshireH wrote: »
    Their fees are on their website. Most estate agents have them published online.

All Estate Agents should have their fees on their website, since it is now illegal not to publish them there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure