Esa - here I go again

Options
A few weeks ago now the envelope came in - ESA50 form. I filled in the form on the computer and sent it off.

Now today I get the letter, I've been called for a face-to-face assessment next week. It's in a place I know, but have not been there due to my mental health problems for over 10 years. I avoid places with lots of people. This place is an hour away.

There is an assessment centre just 10 miles away from me, and I could manage that as it is in the hospital where I have my Psychiatry and Psychology appointments.

I am feeling distressed over this. Have they done this deliberately?

It's a catch 22. If I do not go, ESA will be stopped. If I go, then they will make assumptions based on my attendance.

I have been in WRAG for a long time, and been through this process before, but it still makes me terrified.

Does anyone have experience of Health Assessment Advisory Service in Scotland?

I do not know what to think, my conditions have got worse, but I am terrified that they have moved the goal posts, I should stop reading the horror stories.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rant.

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    They've allocated you the next available appt in your region. The only deliberate act is getting you seen as quickly as possible.

There will not be lots of people at the venue, and everyone there is in the same boat as you.

Yes, you should stop reading the horror stories. Have you submitted evidence from your mental health team?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From https://www.chdauk.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions

"For Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) allows you to rearrange the appointment once. If you need to rearrange your ESA appointment, please call our Enquiries line before the day of your appointment on 0800 288 8777. Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, and Saturdays from 9am to 5pm"

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/esa-medical-assessment/

Is there anyone who could go with you?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    baxie wrote: »
    A few weeks ago now the envelope came in - ESA50 form. I filled in the form on the computer and sent it off.

Now today I get the letter, I've been called for a face-to-face assessment next week. It's in a place I know, but have not been there due to my mental health problems for over 10 years. I avoid places with lots of people. This place is an hour away.

There is an assessment centre just 10 miles away from me, and I could manage that as it is in the hospital where I have my Psychiatry and Psychology appointments.

I am feeling distressed over this. Have they done this deliberately?

It's a catch 22. If I do not go, ESA will be stopped. If I go, then they will make assumptions based on my attendance.

I have been in WRAG for a long time, and been through this process before, but it still makes me terrified.

Does anyone have experience of Health Assessment Advisory Service in Scotland?

I do not know what to think, my conditions have got worse, but I am terrified that they have moved the goal posts, I should stop reading the horror stories.

Thanks for taking the time to read this rant.
    A computer generated appointment, happens to a lot of people.
  • Are you able to get someone to go with you? That might help.
  • rebbs
    Options
    Hi all, I've been on ESA for 7yrs & have now been called for one of these assessments !
    Long story short I got very poorly with ulcerative colitis 7yrs ago, after 2 lots of major surgery I've been left with an abdominal stoma & have to wear a pouch 24/7 (which I still can't get my head round) I sent all the information I have consultants reports etc.
    Will I still be able to get ESA ??

Any advice would be great & may put my mind at rest, Many thanks
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    rebbs wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been on ESA for 7yrs & have now been called for one of these assessments !
    Long story short I got very poorly with ulcerative colitis 7yrs ago, after 2 lots of major surgery I've been left with an abdominal stoma & have to wear a pouch 24/7 (which I still can't get my head round) I sent all the information I have consultants reports etc.
    Will I still be able to get ESA ??

Any advice would be great & may put my mind at rest, Many thanks
    It would have been better if you had started your own post about this, as posting on the end of someone else thread you question can easily be missed.

No one can tell you whether you'll continue to be in one of the groups and no one can put your mind at rest. When you go to the assessment just answer those questions with as much detail as possible, without just a yes or no. If you're in the Support Group now then it would be worth knowing the reasons why you were put in there. Being placed in this group isn't about scoring points, in satisfying at least one of the descriptors or reg 35. The WRAG you'll need to score at least 15 points or reg 29.

A few days after the assessment you can ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as mostly they go with the report. Good luck.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1354-work-related-activity-group-descriptors
  • rebbs
    Options
    Hi poppy, wasn't to sure on how to post a new thread, this is all new to me, thanks for your advice & links, I do however fit the criteria for only one of the descriptors so will see how it goes, thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure