Home Indemnity Insurance Question

Hello All,

I have recently moved into a new home but the previous owners couldnt supply any regs for a removal of a chimney breast or any safety certificates for the boiler. So i took out this “Lack of Building Regulations Consent Indemnity”.

I want some work done on the property, new kitchen extension new boiler etc... but want to check to see if the chinmey and boiler are safe, Apparently for this indemnity to kick in the local authority needs to authorise an enforcement notice. But I am not allowed to tell them?! This will invalidate my insurance. So my question is how can i let them know i have a unsupported chimney breast in the bedroom and nothing below, and a dodgy boiler that vents onto neighbors property if you are not allowed to tell them?

Many thanks for any advice.




  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You will probably be better off posting this in a more appropriate section.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards