Any help gratefully received

Options
12346»

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    Assumptions again....
    Yes I’m 40. I didn’t think this had any bearing on my original post but to give a full story I’ll add this.
    I had an ugly marriage and nasty divorce which left me with nothing. I moved back home (15 years ago) with the intention of getting back on my feet and moving on. 4 was still living at home at this time, but took her chance to move out (she moved to London with a friend) after I came back. Dad’s health started failing (cancer, DVT’s, COPD) so I left my full time job and took a part time job to look after him. Eventually I had to stop work altogether to look after him full time. That was 4 years ago. 2 years ago 4 came back, when dad’s health was declining again. That’s how we’re both living here now.
    I don’t know what 1+2 inherited from their mother.
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Clever? He sounds incredibly cruel to me. He abandoned his two older daughters as children in order to prioritise his shiny new family, and one of his last acts has basically been to do exactly the same thing to them again.

OP, can you put yourself in their shoes, how would you feel if he'd done this to you and your sister? Say he'd left the house to the older two and nothing to you to 'compensate' for not bringing them up. Would you think that was perfectly fair?

Who are you, Red Squirrel, to pass judgment upon a family of whom you know nothing? We have been asked for advice, not moral judgment.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2017 at 12:47PM
    Options
    It's the other way round OP(3) is one of the younger(3,4) at 40 the older two(1,2) are in their 60's

No, the OP says she is 14 years younger than sister 2, so she’ll be 54.

These are all women well into adulthood, long past the age of playing the ‘I’m just starting out in life’ card!

I do think the fact that the OP gave up work to be dad’s carer is important though, but I still feel for the disinherited older sisters.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Who are you, Red Squirrel, to pass judgment upon a family of whom you know nothing? We have been asked for advice, not moral judgment.

I just think it’s worth the OP putting herself in the other sisters’ shoes for a moment, as her younger sister has.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Assumptions again....
    Yes I’m 40. I didn’t think this had any bearing on my original post but to give a full story I’ll add this...

it doesn't

it seems fairly clear from what you have said your fathers intentions were clear when the house was transferred to you and your sister.

If you are happy with that then I don't think anyone would have a chance of challenging that transfer unless they could demonstrate capacity and influence at the time.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 November 2017 at 1:05PM
    Options
    Nobody is playing a ‘just starting out in life card’, please stop making assumptions and putting words in my mouth. I admitted my age and pointed out the 14 years age gap between 2+3 to show that dad didn’t leave his first wife and children to be with wife2 and start a “shiny new family”. That marriage broke down for a number of reasons, but mum wasn’t one of them.
    The older sisters were not disinherited - all 4 of us are named beneficiaries in the will and shared a bank account balance. 4 gave her share to 1+2, which they accepted.

Edit: Yes dad was mentally capable and sound right up til he died, even though he was 86 :) Sadly that hasn’t stopped talk of coercion/theft/abuse on my part (all completely untrue and fallacious).
    It’s like fighting a forest fire from within the forest. I just don’t know what’s going to come at me next. I’ve already had “we’ll force the sale of the house and get our ‘morally right’ share that way”. “I (daughter2) want to see all dad’s bank statements going back 7years so I can cross reference the out goings etc.” I’ve even been told to provide full financial details of every bill dad paid, every bit of money dad gave me +4 right down to details of every meal he provided. My solicitor and HMRC (I ring them a lot!) and posters on here have put my mind at rest about everything so far, I just wish I could predict the next angry !!!!-storm.
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • troubleinparadise
    Options
    My father had a previous marriage and one child before he married my mother.

He paid maintenance for his daughter from that previous marriage; her mother went on to remarry.

My parents bought and funded their house together.

My father died, leaving his share of the house to my mother. My mother died, leaving the house to my sister and myself. Our half-sister was left a share of the residue of my mother’s estate.

The half-sibling’s mother and step-father died, leaving her an inheritance.

From what I can tell, we all enjoyed a pleasant bonus by being left an inheritance. Our half-sister had no “entitlement” nor “moral right” to the house bought and paid for by my parents, but my mother was honourable in keeping to the original agreement with my father to leave her step-daughter a share of the residue. She could easily have changed her Will without anyone being any the wiser.

I don’t believe your half-siblings have any right in law to claim an entitlement to the house; but they have been acknowledged in the Will which should be a pleasant bonus; it certainly is not an entitlement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure