We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tree Saving Tactics

Options
Given:
a pre-planning application/advance notice of indicative layout
of residential development sent to us neighbours
of conservation area UKBAP woodland
owned by local council desperate to sell -
where the layout would remove veteran trees and
destroy woodland habitat you cherish -
having approached the local council tree officer re woodland TPO with no success -
what would you do ?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paragraph properly

But if the local TPO says no then very little

Unless you have something rare like bats breeding there.

Conditions are often put on planning in those areas so that work cannot commence until after nesting season
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • SallyG
    SallyG Posts: 850 Forumite
    Options
    Edited following Browntoa's advice:
    Given a pre-planning application/advance notice of indicative layout
    of residential development sent to us as neighbours of conservation area UKBAP woodland owned by local council desperate to sell, where the layout would remove veteran trees and destroy woodland habitat you cherish, having approached the local council tree officer re woodland TPO with no success, what would you do ?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SallyG wrote: »
    of residential development sent to us as neighbours of conservation area UKBAP woodland owned by local council desperate to sell, where the layout would remove veteran trees and destroy woodland habitat you cherish, having approached the local council tree officer re woodland TPO with no success, what would you do ?

‘Veteran trees’ are trees which, because of their age, size or condition are of cultural, historical, landscape and nature conservation value. They can be found as individuals or groups within ancient wood pastures, historic parkland, hedgerows, orchards, parks or other areas.
    Planning authorities should refuse planning permission for developments that would lead to loss or deterioration of irreplaceable habitats unless the need for, and benefits of, the development in that location clearly outweigh the loss. Read more in the National Planning Policy Framework.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ancient-woodland-and-veteran-trees-protection-surveys-licences

Ask to see the councils reasoning, as to why pre-planning permission has been granted.
  • Sarastro
    Options

I have no idea because I can't understand what you've written.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • madjackslam
    Options
    I don't think this is the best place to post this query. You might be lucky, there might be someone on here who is an expert on planning law and tree preservation, but mostly we're interested in gardening.

I suggest you contact an organisation such as the Woodland Trust for advice - https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-with-us/in-your-community/tree-preservation-orders/.

And if you're looking for a discussion forum, maybe look for local/national conservation groups - Wildlife Trust, Conservation Volunteers, etc.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 November 2017 at 12:41PM
    Options
    what would you do ?
    I would gather support and make representations in a manner which would be easily understood by the average person, rather than use little-known acronyms, which would tend to put them off.

I'd also be clear in other ways. For example., what does, " having approached the local council tree officer re woodland TPO with no success" mean? What would "success" be in this context? Is the officer denying the existence of Preservation Orders?

Bear in mind that anyone can apply for planning anywhere. Land does not have to be owned in order for one to submit a planning application on it.

I agree with the above poster; this is not the best forum for your enquiry, as it's a planning and conservation matter.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    One of the best ways to combat development is to find evidence of Protected Species, such as bats (some are more rare than others), Natterjack toads or various small beasties. Relying upon other organisations isn't as efficient as reading up on the subject yourself first and knowing what you could be looking for in your area.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Debbie_Savard
    Options
    The developers will already have sent hefty bungs to the councillors
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts