Options
2»

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »

I haven't seen anything published about a Tesco increase, but it would depend on how they structure it. If they increase the fixed rate bonus you wouldn't get the increase, but you would if they increase the standard variable rate of interest (this is most likely) applied to the Internet Saver.

Has anyone got a link to a Tesco announcement?

http://corporate.tescobank.com/25/news/news-releases/tesco-bank-to-increase-interest-rates-for-savings-and-mortgage-customers/?newsid=328
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything published about a Tesco increase, but it would depend on how they structure it. If they increase the fixed rate bonus you wouldn't get the increase, but you would if they increase the standard variable rate of interest (this is most likely) applied to the Internet Saver.

badger09 beat me to it with the link ;)

I don't think it matters much how Tesco apply the rate increase. If it doesn't apply to existing accounts then it is easy enough to open a new one and transfer the money. For that reason I suspect they will increase the rate for existing accounts rather than deal with thousands of applications for a new one to replace an existing.

It is a good point about the T&C change affecting future withdrawals, but if the OP is taking out the money within a few months for a house deposit then it shouldn't be an issue. If the few months becomes next May or later then it might be an idea to think about opening a Tesco current account now, subject to thinking how it might impact on a mortgage application.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    badger09 beat me to it with the link ;)

I don't think it matters much how Tesco apply the rate increase. If it doesn't apply to existing accounts then it is easy enough to open a new one and transfer the money. For that reason I suspect they will increase the rate for existing accounts rather than deal with thousands of applications for a new one to replace an existing.
    My T&Cs say that the bonus rate is fixed for 12 months but the underlying variable rate can be changed at any time. It would surprise me if it didn't automatically increase by the publicised 0.15%
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If I recall this is what they did when they reduced it to 0.40% from 0.75%
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    Yes, it is six although this is only on the Tesco Bank Community site as a post from a Tesco Bank Community manager.

I also found out that Tesco Bank does not apply any increases in the bonus rate to existing internet saver account holders. You need to open a new one. And finally, they pay the basic interest once a year in March and bonus interest 12 months after opening the account.

I called Tesco customer services to ask about this, as I am in a similar situation of wanting to hold money in savings for a house purchase next year, likely spring/summer (so probably less than 12 months). I kept good notes on the name of the customer service rep and the manager she spoke to.

I was told that if you *close* the account before the 12 months is up, you'd receive all interest due at that point. Just thought I'd mention it as the OP would possibly be closing the account when she needs to access the money for her house purchase also.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    I called Tesco customer services to ask about this, as I am in a similar situation of wanting to hold money in savings for a house purchase next year, likely spring/summer (so probably less than 12 months). I kept good notes on the name of the customer service rep and the manager she spoke to.

I was told that if you *close* the account before the 12 months is up, you'd receive all interest due at that point. Just thought I'd mention it as the OP would possibly be closing the account when she needs to access the money for her house purchase also.
    I believe that this is standard banking practice as they need to clear all pending transactions before they can close the account.

I have just checked my Tesco Bank T&Cs and this is specifically stated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure