MSE News:Four in 10 workers have had no pay rise in the last year, poll of MSE...

Options
Forty-one per cent of those in work have not had a pay rise in the past year, according to a new poll of MoneySavingExpert.com users. Just a quarter have had a rise that matched or exceeded inflation, while those on the lowest salaries are generally least likely to have seen a rise....
Read the full story:
'Four in 10 workers have had no pay rise in the last year, poll of MSE users findsE'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Payrise? My employer has forced us all to sign new contracts (by forced- you get no future payrises if you don't sign) that makes us all loose pay next year
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only 13% of those earning under £11,500 saw a rise in line with or by more than inflation.

I find this result a surprise.

In April 2017 the minimum wage was hiked COLOR="Gray"]MSE's favourite word[/COLOR by 4.2% when RPI was 3.5% (CPI 2.7%, CPIH 2.6%) so everyone on the minimum wage has had an increase above inflation in the last year.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One-Eye wrote: »

In April 2017 the minimum wage was hiked COLOR=Gray]MSE's favourite word[/COLOR by 4.2% when RPI was 3.5% (CPI 2.7%, CPIH 2.6%) so everyone on the minimum wage has had an increase above inflation in the last year.
    I guess they could all be part timers who earn more than nmw...37 hours nmw is 14k pa.
    I think....
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've actually had a really good year for pay, this is extremely unusual though. However I'm currently saving for a house and a wedding so despite this my disposable income has reduced.
  • michaels wrote: »
    I guess they could all be part timers who earn more than nmw...37 hours nmw is 14k pa.

This is definately the thing - only today I scoffed that a paid charity job at £13,942 as one of my brother's job applications was possibly below min wage - I really shouldn't have been fooled and should have known far better.. it is all in the hours
    Turns out that at 35 hours for a 25+ year old it is actually something like £7.66 p/h :o:)
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    We didn't have a pay rise in 2009, other than that it's been between 1-3% every year.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This may depend on how “rise” is defined. Are you referring to a cost of living uplift?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    One-Eye wrote: »

In April 2017 the minimum wage was hiked COLOR=Gray]MSE's favourite word[/COLOR by 4.2% when RPI was 3.5% (CPI 2.7%, CPIH 2.6%) so everyone on the minimum wage has had an increase above inflation in the last year.

Given the general standard of numeracy, it's quite possible that many of the respondents simply won't have correctly calculated what an above-inflation increase would be.

To be reliable you would need to ask people for their wage in October 2016 and their wage now, and work out the difference. But the news article suggests that the methodology was simply to ask "did you get a pay increase and was it in line with inflation" which most people will interpret as "did you get a pay increase and did it feel like enough".
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    Nope did not get any increase this year.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    I've actually had a really good year for pay, this is extremely unusual though. However I'm currently saving for a house and a wedding so despite this my disposable income has reduced.

Sorry to be pedantic, but disposable income doesn't mean that.

"What is disposable income?
    Disposable income is arguably the most widely used household income measure. Disposable income is the amount of money that households have available for spending and saving after direct taxes (such as Income Tax and Council Tax) have been accounted for. It includes earnings from employment, private pensions and investments as well as cash benefits provided by the state."

You can't say you've had a pay cut because you've chosen to spend or save more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure