NCB and insurers

Options
This is supplementary question to my earlier thread 'Replacement vehicle' which was answered and that aspect settled.

To recap, my husband was stationery in his company lease car when a lorry coming in the opposite direction took the side off. The lease car will be with the dealership for repair and we have got a like-for-like replacement car.

The question now relates to our own private car and the NCB. Each year the policy is renewed and we can say that we have had no claims and get the appropriate discount. The lorry driver was 100% to blame for the damage to the lease car, but our fleet claims handler says they have not heard from the haulage company. We gave full details, provided dashcam evidence and there was also an eye witness who gave his name and address.

If there was any justice, we would not have to be concerned but we have heard about cases where, presumably for ease, the insurers have agreed 50/50 to settle things. Normally this doesn't matter for company lease car drivers, but we have our own private car and the premiums would definitely be affected.

Is there any action we should be taking to ensure that this doesn't happen to us? It looks like everything is handed over to the insurers to sort out, but we want to be sure that no short cuts are taken which affect our personal premiums.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Your NCB is tied to your private car. So is only impacted if you make any claim against that car's policy

But if your husband is covered by that policy (holder or named driver) he must disclose the company car incident to the private car insurer (and any other policy he is covered on) - and this change in his history may impact the future premiums.

Insurers normally ask for your history over 3/5 years
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, thanks, but with respect we know almost all of that.

The question was: if you are the injured party in a company vehicle, and the fault is 100% the other driver, how can you prevent that accident history affecting the insurance premiums on your private car?

We have a friend (an wmployee in the same company) who had to settle for 50/50 in accident where someone drove into the back of him. He didn't really mind because there was no financial loss to him as he didn't have a second private car that he needed to insure. We do have a second car which we are financially responsible for, and we don't want a premium hike because the fleet insurer is too lazy to pursue the other party.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 November 2017 at 7:51PM
    Options
    There is nothing you can do to prevent the accident history affecting the private car premiums.

Gather your evidence that the other driver was negligent and submit it to the insurers. If the other driver disputes liability, and neither of you have any evidence (CCTV / Dash cam etc) then prepare for a 50/50.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So let me understand this properly.

You are totally innocent and the victim of an accident.

You have witnesses and dashcam footage.

However, because it is an accident where repairs are required, and someone has to pay, your record is affected and future premiums are hiked. Even though it was not your fault.

Have I got that right?
  • Wednesday100
    Options
    Several years ago I was hit from behind and this was declared a no-fault accident on my part and my NCB was unaffected. My premium still went up moderately. When I queried this the insurance company said it was because I was deemed a bigger risk. It was enough to switch insurer half way through my policy year.

About 9 years later I've just been involved in another accident, which should go through cleanly as no fault. Not looking forward to what that will do to my premium :(

It does seem like insurers default to 50/50 blame quickly now unless it is something clear-cut like being hit from the rear.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have to answer the questions the insurer asks accurately. If they ask if you have had any accidents in the last X years the answer is clearly "yes". If they ask whether you were at fault for the accident you can reply "no".

Some insurers load premiums for a no fault accident, some don't. So so around for the best price.
  • Lizabeth21
    Options
    We protect our NCB
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    we have heard about cases where, presumably for ease, the insurers have agreed 50/50 to settle things.
    Insurers don't like 50/50. Not only can they only recover 50% of their costs but they have to pay 50% of the other party's costs.

Insurers want 100% blame on the other party. Full recover of own costs and nothing to pay out.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Lizabeth21 wrote: »
    We protect our NCB
    That doesn't stop any claim impacting on your premium! (Just protects your level of discount)
  • Quentin
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    Yes, thanks, but with respect we know almost all of that.

The question was: if you are the injured party in a company vehicle, and the fault is 100% the other driver, how can you prevent that accident history affecting the insurance premiums on your private car?

We have a friend (an wmployee in the same company) who had to settle for 50/50 in accident where someone drove into the back of him. He didn't really mind because there was no financial loss to him as he didn't have a second private car that he needed to insure. We do have a second car which we are financially responsible for, and we don't want a premium hike because the fleet insurer is too lazy to pursue the other party.
    No "respect" required!

You did ask about "our own private car and the NCB" - not only was the ncb question answered, but I also pointed out that future premiums could well be loaded irrespective of the outcome of the claim - which you seemingly were unaware of from your subsequent replies.

The need to disclose all incidents will be set out in your private car policy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure