Owl intuition con

Options
1235»

Comments

• howroyd
    howroyd Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I'd love it if someone wrote an OpenHAB item for the Owl.

I too have solar PV and heating controls. Can get the data via the UDP so I could change the timers but I'd have to write the packets and send them manually...urgh
  • Fl4sh
    Options
    I have had nothing but trouble with my owl. Some.down to poor installation but the solar company that installed it all went bust along with the conpany that gave the 10 yr guarantee...owl customer service have been useless from the get go. If i have heating and hot water on at same time boiler keeps tripping out. In summer.when just hot water it works fine..well it does now since i replaced the tank sensor that was installed incorrectly. Need.to change to something else i think. I too was told no subscriptions
  • jatty61
    Options
    Hi GavinW
    I would appreciate a copy of the coding and any other info you have . Along with others I feel that it has a limited life and I would like the challenge to getting the owl running independently

regards
    John
  • Copter_Doctor
    Options
    ij21 wrote: »
    When I had my solar panels fitted by Hannergy (based in IKEA) OWLintuition was fitted to monitor the system. Early last year after receiving an email from OWL (their webshop page is no longer) I bought a thermostat and relay and added them to the system myself. Cost me £100. It was a nightmare configuring them and when finished the system dropped out continually to the point that when British Gas offered me HIVE after servicing my boiler I cut my losses and had it fitted. After receiving that email I suspected that they were finished and that it was a cynical perhaps illegal attempt to rescue the business. If it’s going bust maybe it’s because its crap and Hive are doing for it. This attempt to get this amount of money off customers is a disgrace and you may be throwing good money after bad. I don’t know what I am going to do now with my solar monitoring system. Any ideas would be welcome.
    Hi, Like you I also purchased my solar panels through Hannergy (based in IKEA) and had the Owl Intuition system commissioned at the same time. Fortunately, I had three years before receiving the begging letter. However, at that stage we had fitted a solar battery to chaptalize on our unused energy which came complete with a comprehensive dashboard to monitor all aspects of the solar installation. There are a number of companies offering this solution but after a lot of research I opted for 'Growatt' SP2000 installation. The system wouldn't allow me to post a link but if you search for Growatt SP2000 you'll find it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Has anyone been disconnected yet?

Given the alternatives are now way ahead in terms of features seems a sure way to reduce the customer base.
  • Alpha_5
    Alpha_5 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I logged into the online dashboard at the weekend - the first time since the latest ransom email back in Feb/Mar. A pop-up box said my device will be deactivated in 5 days unless I pay £20. I'll l let you know what happens!
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bit of a bump here: mine was disconnected around a month ago after numerous pop ups on the monitor screen.

I only use the monitor part to confirm that I've a bit of spare PV to use, although I'm reasonable at estimating output and the iboost tells me how much is going into the immersion, although this time of year only in the mornings as the tank gets hot early.

Any cheap ideas on simply monitoring the output? I'm not very competent when it comes to electrics, in spite of having worked for the leccy board in IT!
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bit of a bump here: mine was disconnected around a month ago after numerous pop ups on the monitor screen.

BUMP. Any alternative ideas anyone? TIA.
  • Nookster
    Nookster Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Although the webpage dashboard is behind a paywall, the mobile app still functions, albeit with the same warning that you can dismiss.
  • MPZR
    Options
    Well done Gavin W. on getting your Owl to work with Alexa/Google/ I'd be really interested to know more. I'm an amateur coder but a bit rusty so layman's English please! Many thanks. Michael.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure