Mums house being sold for care but she has now passed

Hello

My Mum passed away on Friday, she has suffered with dementia for many years so this has been a blessing.

Her property was taken over by the local council late 2016 to be sold to help costs of her residential care.

The question that the family has now is that the property has not sold (not worth a lot plus a leasehold issue) and while happy for any of this to be used towards the outstanding care costs, we are left with finding cash for the funeral costs which is going to be a huge struggle for us at the moment due low paid work and little savings for us to tap into.

Are we in a position to see if we can use some of the sale for funeral expenses or do we need to look to get a loan to support the funeral costs?

Any guidance is appreciated, we are not trying to get away from our responsibilities but as the property is unsold at time of death wonder if have some lee-way for help

Thank you in advance x

Replies

• Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You are not responsable for the funeral costs. Where there is no money held in the estate to pay for then a simple funeral should be provided by the local authority. This may be claimed back from the estate once the house is sold, but it solves the emmediate problem.
  • merlotsmummerlotsmum Forumite
    54 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You are not responsable for the funeral costs. Where there is no money held in the estate to pay for then a simple funeral should be provided by the local authority. This may be claimed back from the estate once the house is sold, but it solves the emmediate problem.

Thank you so much for this, it has given us something to go back and ask :) Much appreciated
  • Tom99Tom99 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you not get to keep the last £23k or something?
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Tom99 wrote: »
    Do you not get to keep the last £23k or something?

£23,250 if when full self funding ceases, but that does not help funeral costs when the only asset is tied up in an unsold house.
    54 Posts
    Forumite
    £23,250 if when full self funding ceases, but that does not help funeral costs when the only asset is tied up in an unsold house.

Thanks for updates, I'm waiting to contact my Brother later, he's been investigating options, I'm not sure what I'll do if have to contribute to costs, I have little in savings. They have been my back up after being unemployed for part of this year. I'm worried sick about it all on top of bereavement
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is there a will, and who s the Executor(s)?

If none, who is going to apply to be Administrator?

Whoever that is should manage the Estate which means identifying all assets and expenses (including the funeral costs) and paying those costs.

If the Estate does not have the funds, then as explained, the LA can arrange the funeral.

Once the house has sold, the LA will take what they are owed for the Care Home and the funeral costs, and the rest goes back into the Estate to be distributed by the Executor as per the will.
    54 Posts
    Forumite
    My Brother is taking care of this, no Will so has applied for Administrator, funeral to come out of sale of home which is going through. Won't be anything left after costs but grateful funeral was covered and Mum got a lovely send off. Thank you for responding, appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Water bills a struggle?

Find out what help's available

MSE News

Cyber Monday 2022

Avoid the hype - only spend if you were going to anyway

MSE Forum

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

40+ shows incl Disney's Frozen, The Lion King

MSE Tool