reasonable expenses single 1child

Options

Comments

• Singlemumm
    Options
    thank u.
    I will see how is going.
    just wondering if worth to negotiate amount or just sign agreement.
    other things makes me nervous,I do require big expenses on dental treatment and cannot proof it until it not done.
    what about if I need to buy something as new bed or just something like this?
    I cannot know at the moment what I will need,so in this case its possible in some point to have lower payment?
    I am sorry if this sounds bad but I just not well atm,but life is not finish
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Singlemumm wrote: »
    just wondering if worth to negotiate amount or just sign agreement.

Wait for someone to come along who knows about these things to advise on that
    Singlemumm wrote: »
    other things makes me nervous,I do require big expenses on dental treatment and cannot proof it until it not done.
    what about if I need to buy something as new bed or just something like this?
    I cannot know at the moment what I will need,so in this case its possible in some point to have lower payment?
    I am sorry if this sounds bad but I just not well atm,but life is not finish

Yes they are valid concerns everyone has those concerns you are not alone in that, you will manage there is always a way.

Dentist - find an NHS one
    Bed etc - Charity shops / freecycle / ebay these will be your friends most things are available secondhand at a fraction of what they cost new.
  • GazHatesBanks
    Options
    You are perfectly within your rights to ask for details on how they have calculated the IPA and challenge it if it is wrong. However, your expenses do look high (without knowing your circumstances). Particularly

1) School expenses @ £144/month
    - How much are school meals per day/week?
    - School uniform @ £300/year = £25/month
    - How many trips at what cost?

2) Clothing @ £200/month - This is high especially as uniform is included in above.

3) Groceries @ £600/month - Again this is high especially as your child has school meals.

Unless there is a good reason, these expenses are likely to have been reduced significantly.

On your figures, you already have a £90 surplus, so the OR has cut £297 a month from your allowed expenses.

If you are not happy with the amount, do not sign it yet until the OR confirms what the calculation is. Remember that an IPA is an AGREEMENT

If you do have a high IPA and an expense comes up you can always speak to the OR who will normally allow a break/reduction in payments. Note that the expense has to be a need not a want. As an example, to pay for a level 3 NHS treatment at ~£240 (e.g. crown) would be acceptable - dental implants would not be.
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for your PM.
    I wonder - did you take any advice before declaring your bankruptcy - and if so, who from?
    I am working on you plus a 14 year old child - is this correct - and also no car.
    Looking at the figures, I'm afraid you will end up with a sizeable IPA. In my view you could offer to pay an IPA of £250pm. The OR might then decide that it is easier to accept your offer rather than considering the cost and time of them potentially going to court to attempt to obtain an IPO (IPA but through the court).
    No one can force you to sign an IPA - but the negotiation has to be worth the OR accepting.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • tomconfused
    tomconfused Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2017 at 1:17AM
    Options
    Hi, don’t panic. What you need to do is start your sums again. Think carefully about what you need. Break down every payment. If you can’t afford to live without the extra 200-300 pounds then why not? This needs to be explained in clear black and white maths. Looking at your breakdown you have generalised too much which is why you are not clear on why you need the money.

For example they are never going to agree to your breakdowns. Be more specific.

Rent = xx
    Council tax =xx
    Gas= xx
    Water =xx
    Elec =xx
    Phone bill = xx you are allowed a phone £30 seems reasonable
    Internet/ tv package = £40 seems reasonable
    Food for x2 = 250
    Toiletries x2 =30
    Sanitary products x2 =15? I’m a man no idea
    Haircuts x2 £40
    School uniform = £25 per month x 12
    Clothing you = £45
    Clothing daughter = £45
    Tv license = £11 per month? I don’t know check
    Travel x 2 for work and social and school = 250
    Contingency =50
    Dentist = £15 per month x 12 for year
    Glasses = £10 per month
    Prescription = £8?
    Xmas savings for child £10
    Leasure for child = 35
    Washing powder/cleaning products £15
    Cat food = £10
    Home insurance £15
    Stationary for school £5 - all adds up

Get the picture?

If you can reasonably justify what you need then that’s what you need. But they are never going to let you have that clothes budget or food that general.
  • Singlemumm
    Options
    thank you so much everyone.
    I did advice before I was going to bankrupt and I even paid for it and not small money.
    well,your answers were very helps,and seems I can to pay a bit less IPA then nearly £400.
    Yes,I dont have a car,and my traveling expenses £120 for our both montly ticket.
    I see I can put down my foods but then IPA will be even bigger.
    I will sent letter with no signed agreement tomorror or Monday.
    what you guys will suggest to include in this letter?
    how is better to explain I can pay less ?
    abouth dentist..I was in touch with my NHS doctor.
    Treatment I need is not covered under NHS even there are crowns.
    Dentist has offerred best price £3500 and I have refused as doesnt have that money.
    To get same treatment broad £2000 just saying.
  • Singlemumm
    Options
    If I will offer to OR to pay lets say £250,how to explain it in the letter?
  • Singlemumm
    Options
    Hi all,

Before I am going to work, I will add details from my income and expenditures what I have filled when made app online.
    INCOME 1673( salary 1357, Child benefit 81, Child tax credit 235)
    EXPENSES 1672.68 :
    rent- 373/month
    tv licence - 6/week
    council tax - 56/month
    gas - 30/month
    eletricity - 30/month
    water - 18/month
    opticians - 16.67/month
    Groceries -110/week
    toiletries- 12/week
    (food and housekeeping per month 615,34)
    meals at work - 20/week
    public transport-120/month
    School uniforms -300/year
    school meals - 20/week
    after school clubs and trips - 35/month
    clothing and footwear - 30/week
    hairdressing - 40/month
    internet tv - 19/month
    2mobile phones - 40/month
    laundry and cleaning - 12/month
  • Singlemumm
    Options
    Any comments will be helpful, guys. Dont know why but I slept last night i a bit better.
    Just wondering if OR will sent me calculation how he had adjusted it, as yesterday he said there is no reason to discuss etc. As mentioned above, there even wasnt any interview that I had expected.
    So should I wait if he will sent me details or just to reply to his letter and explanation why I am think is a bit too high IPA?Details I am already submited on my application is changeble?
    If I will cut foods expenses but will add something this will help?This is allowed?
  • Singlemumm
    Options
    And one more question.
    I do know already in Mach I will get smaller wage as in February I have booked unpaid parental leave, one week. Do I need to tell it to OR in advance?
    Letter says I must to start to pay IPA 7th January.
    I know in my case I have to work as much as possible and I am always did. So please do not judge me.
    Me and my daughter we saw so many bad things from my ex so this very affected our health and life.
    My expenses could be smaller but there is some things like I using not prescribed tablets, that is really cost but with no it I even couldnt sleep.Nightmare with him is over but now still affects us.
    And I think I am not luckiest person in this world and always been like this. If you try to save on one, definetely will spend somewhere else.
    Why I have mentioned dentist before, I do have 10 crowns, thats is a lot in my age and sometimes they need to be fixed, until I will can afford to change it.You even cannot imagine what mean to afraid smile or eat.But there is another story.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure