PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Asking price offer - vendor now wanting more!

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »

Sometimes there aren't that many options, and if it means paying a bit more and playing the game to get it, that's what you have to do.
    This is what the folks in town won't get.

We tried to buy in much the same area 8 years ago and found it hard-going. Once land and outbuildings come into it, there's a host of 'other stuff' to consider, besides the house itself. Add vendors with an over-inflated idea of value, glacial time-scales for an average sale and it can become very frustrating.

Anyway, we ended-up buying in Devon, which shows how well we got on! :rotfl:
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    I would walk out of principle, they are messing you around and taking you for a ride. Don't pay more than what it is worth, don't be forced into it

Even with the increased offer the OP has said,

Even at the new amount we've offered it still represents extremely good value for money.

and
    We do have a couple of other contenders, but neither ticks as many boxes and they are both more expensive than this one.

It's not time to walk yet.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    I'm selling a property subject to Probate and can give you the other perspective.

The property you are interested in will have been valued at the time of the owner's death, and that is the figure provided when Probate is applied for.
    This is where Executors of a will have to be careful, as if they then sell the property for a figure higher than that they will have Capital Gains Tax to pay, and quite possibly it could put the estate over the Inheritance Tax threshold.
    It's not as simple as executors holding out for more money, even though many think they can.

I advertised the property of the deceased and accepted a lower offer. Despite being told higher offers had come in, I have stuck with it. Executors should be mindful of the 'hidden' costs to the estate such as Council Tax after 6 months, utilities, security, and insuring an empty property. All that has to be factored into making a decision right for the estate.

Neither of which is a problem.
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    This is what the folks in town won't get.

We tried to buy in much the same area 8 years ago and found it hard-going. Once land and outbuildings come into it, there's a host of 'other stuff' to consider, besides the house itself. Add vendors with an over-inflated idea of value, glacial time-scales for an average sale and it can become very frustrating.

Anyway, we ended-up buying in Devon, which shows how well we got on! :rotfl:

I very much fear we might end up buying elsewhere too :o

We've never received any actual written acknowledgement of our offers from this particular EA which also sets alarm bells ringing. Just not having much confidence in their business practices and worry what dealing with them would be like going forward.

If this was anything other than a probate sale I think we'd try to get hold of the vendor to establish whether our offers have been passed on - or at the very least send them a letter stating our position/what we have offered - but obviously this isn't possible here......

Thanks again for all your thoughts/suggestions, they are much appreciated!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • BISCUIT1
    BISCUIT1 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck-hope you get it x
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I very much fear we might end up buying elsewhere too :o

We've never received any actual written acknowledgement of our offers from this particular EA which also sets alarm bells ringing. Just not having much confidence in their business practices and worry what dealing with them would be like going forward.

If this was anything other than a probate sale I think we'd try to get hold of the vendor to establish whether our offers have been passed on - or at the very least send them a letter stating our position/what we have offered - but obviously this isn't possible here......

Thanks again for all your thoughts/suggestions, they are much appreciated!

We never got a memorandum of sale on the one we bought!

Maybe this one just isn't meant for you. We're happier with the outcome of our house hunt, the town we have bought in has more of what we were looking for than the original one we were targeting.

Perhaps widening your search will have a better outcome for you (and you'll end up next door to Dave in Devon).
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• phoebe1989seb
    Options
    OMG.......we just had a call to say our new offer has been accepted :j:j:j

We are delighted as we really think this one is right for us :D

Thanks again to everyone that has posted/given advice on this thread!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done!

Always better to play a gentle, quiet, polite hand than storm off in high dudgeon. Particularly in such locations.... ;)

Fingers crossed that this works through OK.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh excellent, I hope it all goes well for you.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Whoopee!:beer:

You can't beat life in the s l o w lane! riding-a-turtle-smiley-emoticon.gif:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure