Old Halifax loan

Options
Hi
Around 2003, I had a loan with Halifax for about £10,000. I have always assumed that I wouldn't have PPI on anything because I would never have paid the extra because I was in a job with really good sick pay/benefits.
However, I found out by chance asking my own bank (HSBC) that I had had PPI on a loan with them (£1000, I don't even remember when I had it) - all I did was ask them on the phone, I explained why I wouldn't have wanted it and I got a cheque for a couple of hundred quid.
Anyway, this made me think of the only other big loan I've had so I filled in the form on Halifax's website. They've now sent me a letter saying basically "sorry you are unhappy with the way the PPI was sold to you", and a PPI complaint form to complete which I've done (I can barely remember any details but I've done the best I can)
Question though, if I didn't have PPI, would they have just responded with, "You didn't have PPI on this loan" or do they have to go through all the rigmarole anyway?
Thanks in advance!
Official DFW Nerd no: 563 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
:j

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Impossible to say. They may have sent it as they have no record of a loan from that far back and are relying on you to tell them account details.

Alternatively they have found PPI on one of your accounts.
  • LindseyM
    LindseyM Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply zx81 :)

I'm guessing they do have a record because the form they've sent me has the loan number on it (i didn't even have that).

Oh well, will see what happens once they receive the form.
    Official DFW Nerd no: 563 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It sounds to me as if they are indeed confirming that you had PPI by sending you the complaint form. You'll know for certain in around eight weeks when you receive your Full & Final Response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure