PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lodger's room stinks of smoke and left it in a mess

Options

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Our son bought a house where it's obvious there was a heavy smoker living there before hand

I don't know if it works but apparently bicarbonate of soda sprinkled over the offending textiles, left for a few hours and then vacuumed up is supposed to get rid of cigarette smoke
  • Clairabella
    Options
    Do keep all texts, emails etc. from him. Hopefully you'll never need them.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Yeah and I'm pretty sure you can't send a pre action letter by text. You also have to detail exactly what you're claiming for (I had a look at the protocol earlier today)
    He's a real piece of work. His profile on spareroom still says he's a non smoker as well.

Hmmm...I dont know the spareroom website - but I wonder whether it has a facility to correct "mistakes" on it??

It sounds to me like you're in a similar situation to where I had a lodger one time that stole from me (ie tried to get away with not paying phonecalls they made). To which I responded with words to effect of "Pay me what you have stolen from me - or just wait for the news to get out that you're a thief". They paid up....:cool:

Frankly, he isn't very bright is he? Thinking he can act like this and you won't tell everyone in the building what he is like - and put somewhat of a damper on any career advancement hopes he has:cool::rotfl:
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep all emails texts etc, but do not respond. Do NOT get into dialogue with him.

Ignore completely.

No need to stress - his threats are either based on ignorance, or he knows they are empty threats and hopes to scare you. Either way, he does not have a legal leg to stand on.

In the very unlikely event that he does sue you, you should not only defend, but put in a counter claim for the lack of notice.

Won't happen though.

You have changed the locks yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA580cRHXDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIPyqtOmprE
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    he's talked a lot about how he's been in the navy, and a pilot (plus a few other professions) and now most recently, a lawyer!

I think I know who he is, were his other professions racing driver, sports agent and bar tender? If so, he's Tom Cruise!
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • quotememiserable
    Options
    Apparently he's been a pilot and a lawyer and a few other professions

sounds very like me. I've been a lawyer, a pilot, an astronaut and a brain surgeon. I haven't decided which profession to take by storm next.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your reply, if any, should refer him to the response of Private Eye Magazine to Arkell’s solicitors in the case of Arkell vs Pressdram. If he’s a lawyer he’ll know exactly what that means.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He sounds rather like a teacher who worked in the same school as me, but he wasn't aggressive.

He reckoned he had a PhD (in the days when teachers did not require a degree), but insisted he not be addressed as 'Doctor'. He was found out at a later date when a real holder of a PhD joined the staff and the LEA delayed her pay because of uncertainty over what enhancement their first PhD holding teacher should receive.

When he left (was fired), rather suddenly, it as speculated that he didn't even have a teaching qualification and hence the sacking. (He didn't teach; just spending lessons talking about his experiences; not a good idea when pupils could report him and especially as one was the younger sister of a member of staff.)

His fictions covered his qualification and experience in the music world ,having conducted a famous orchestra and being a close friend of Neil Diamond.

A great achievement, that he only bragged to pupils about was flying a small aircraft under Tower Bridge. In fact, so far fetched were the stories ,that the pupils called him Jackanory.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ignore those series of texts, it’s pseudo legalese to scare you
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Ignore those series of texts, it’s pseudo legalese to scare you

Agreed:T

Even if he went as far as having you sent a solicitors letter - that's probably meaningless. I very much doubt he will send you a solicitor letter at that - not when we're talking £100 or more for him to do so.

It's no big deal even if he did. I've had one twice in my life before now (one from previous lodgers) and both times I just explained what was what to said solicitor verbally and that was the end of that:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure