Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Electric radiators

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
6 replies 994 views
S_FrostS_Frost Forumite
1 Post
Can anyone recommend a UK supplier of German electric radiators? We don't have a gas supply here and do not have any form of central heating system, so would like to install the most efficient electric radiators as our main source of heat. Thanks for your help

Replies

• Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are no "Most efficient" electric rads. All elec rads are 100% efficient.
    ie 1kw electricity in gives 1kw heat out.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • minicooper272minicooper272 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard really good things about these panels:

https://www.redwellinfraredheating.com

They radiate the heat quite well throughout the room, and don't use a huge amount of energy, although a bit pricier. OH''s gran has them in her council house, and they are really effective.
  • magn8pmagn8p Forumite
    257 Posts
    If you are planning to install heating throughout the house, consider underfloor heating like this one - http://amzn.to/2z4ek1q I think underfloor heaters heat up the room more evenly.

Of course it may mean changing your flooring and making it suitable for underfloor heating.

On the other hand, you can always find cost efficient electric storage heaters like http://amzn.to/2zatzbi which are also a good choice.
  • lstar337lstar337 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just get the cheapest rads you can find that you don't hate the look of.

All electric heating is 100% efficient so it will all cost exactly the same to run.

Personally, I like oil filled as you don't get the burning dust smell when you turn them on after a while of not being used.

Beware if you have E7/E10 heating as these will be expensive on direct electric heating. Also, IR and Underfloor heating have high initial outlays for minimal return in comfort.
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    S_Frost wrote: »
    would like to install the most efficient electric radiators as our main source of heat.
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    There are no "Most efficient" electric rads. All elec rads are 100% efficient.
    ie 1kw electricity in gives 1kw heat out.
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Just get the cheapest rads you can find that you don't hate the look of.

All electric heating is 100% efficient so it will all cost exactly the same to run.

Just remember that all electric heating has the same 100% efficiency ... not sure if anyone mentioned that. :D
  • lstar337lstar337 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    J_B wrote: »
    Just remember that all electric heating has the same 100% efficiency ... not sure if anyone mentioned that. :D
    Always good to make sure it sinks in. :D

It wouldn't be so bad if idiot companies didn't keep putting out ads banging on about the "efficiency" of the electric heaters. It's akin to a water company harping on about how their water is wetter than everybody elses!
This discussion has been closed.