Switching bank with weekly wages.

Options
If i switch bank accounts will my old account be closed?, i get paid weekly for one of my jobs and don't want a wage payment lost to the void while everything transfers.

Thanks.

Comments

• pcman1985
    Options
    As far as I'm aware on a switch service and payments going to the old account will automatically be forward to the new account for a set period of time.

However update the employer with the new details as soon as possible.

Therefore you should not lose any pay.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    switching automatically closes the old account.

It should also switch inward payments and outward ones such DDs etc but it always worth checking that whoever pays your wages is aware of the new details.

It is for that very reason that some people have more than one account and when they switch it may well be a 'donor' a/c rather than their main one
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Shmickles wrote: »
    If i switch bank accounts will my old account be closed?
    Only if you use the Current Account Switching Service, albeit this is generally a prerequisite* if you're looking to benefit from the switching incentives offered. Other, partial or manual, switch facilities may work better for you if you're trying to retain your existing account.

* Certain exceptions apply, e.g. some banks taking on N&P customers.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get paid weekly and during one of my switches changed bank to which my pay was received. I told my agent about the change and they made sure the money went to the correct account. I had no problem with not receiving my pay that week.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure