Incorrect money transfer

leo25
leo25 Posts: 20 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 31 October 2017 at 9:42PM in Disability money matters
I Hope somebody can advise me I am a Type 1 diabetic & last night I was suffering a low sugar episode or hypo. During
when stupidly during this hypo I decided to pay the final balance of a recent wet room install during when I mistakenly transferred the funds nearly £1500 to someone who had recently replaced my central heating system and has already being paid in full for that job I have have rang him several times and also texted him my
bank details which he said he would transfer back tonight so far no returns funds. If by any chance he doesn't refund me can anyone advise how to proceed with the problem.

Comments

• leo25
    Panic over I've had a full refund but I am now going to remove any outdated transfer set ups to make sure it doesn't happen again.
  • leo25
    edited 31 October 2017 at 9:44PM
    Credit to my plumber he is a sound honest guy which is what I had thought anyway.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    youve been VERY lucky!

you'd have no recourse, same as these scams were the victim willingly transfers money to accounts, the banks love that coz it absolves them totally!
  • leo25
    Yes your right I think I have being quite lucky. On the positive side
    I have spotted an install error in that the clean and clear shower screen
    has been installed facing the wrong way around so I can get my wet room installer to refit it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    The banks now have a code of practice where they will try to recover the money. If it is disputed they will investigate. If they cannot recover the money they will obtain the details of the person who holds the account but you would need to take court action to recover the money.

You should always tell your bank immediately as if the recipient removes the money and has no money to repay it the bank can't so anything.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As above. Bank transfers can be disputed nowadays and the recipient has to prove they are entitled to the money. I sent some money to the wrong company Friday night. Rang the bank Saturday morning who said to try and resolve it with them first but if not they can dispute the payment. Thankfully the company rang me first thing Monday to tell me they had received a payment they didn't expect and returned it within the hour.
  • leo25
    My wet room is complete now and the right person paid, it looks fantastic I will try to post some images soon. The screen was in fact fitted correctly anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure