Help with Apple Family Sharing please.

in Techie Stuff
5 replies 515 views
Cinders2001Cinders2001 Forumite
1.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
Forumite
We want to know please...
Husband has iTunes. We all share same id account as husband. We want to do Family Sharing instead.
Will daughter lose her Garage Band data/info/songs/her creations and other app data on her iPad if we use Family Sharing?

Does anyone here know the answer, pretty please?!

Thank you
** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
** Stay Safe **

Replies

• another_casualtyanother_casualty Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I’ve done family sharing with a brother who had a different email account. That was fine . However( I could be wrong ) , I think if you all have the same Apple ID then yes your daughters GarageBand stuff would be lost . There are 2 things I’ve thought of that may save the day: 1) get your daughter to open up a seperates email address to your husband . Then add that account to your husbands user I d .
    2) get your daughter to store her GarageBand recordings on either a Dropbox account or an external hard drive .

Somebody else should be here shortly :)
  • edited 31 October 2017 at 6:08PM
    Cinders2001Cinders2001 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 31 October 2017 at 6:08PM
    I’ve done family sharing with a brother who had a different email account. That was fine . However( I could be wrong ) , I think if you all have the same Apple ID then yes your daughters GarageBand stuff would be lost . There are 2 things I’ve thought of that may save the day: 1) get your daughter to open up a seperates email address to your husband . Then add that account to your husbands user I d .
    2) get your daughter to store her GarageBand recordings on either a Dropbox account or an external hard drive .

Somebody else should be here shortly :)

Thank you for that idea!

Any idea that, if they were put on an external hard drive or Dropbox, that they could be restored to GarageBand after on her own account?

What do you think?
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • Cinders2001Cinders2001 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Have I posted this in the correct forum?
    Or do you know of a 'better' one?
    Thanks
    ** Stay Safe **
  • There are two types of Apple “accounts”, you can share either.

There is the App Store, which if you use the same ID means you don’t need to pay separately for each user in the family.

Then there is your iCloud which can cause problems if shared, my OH and myself have a common App Store setting and individual iCloud settings. Sharing iCloud is “OK” if it’s for your personal devices, but mixes up phone contacts and images if used by other members of the family.

We don’t buy from iTunes, only occasional Apps.

Hope this helps a little
  • another_casualtyanother_casualty Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have I posted this in the correct forum?
    Or do you know of a 'better' one?
    Thanks

Yes , you’ve posted in the correct forum :)

There is one other thing that you could do.
    You could go on the Apple page and ask the same question on their contact support page .

When sending stuff from GarageBand , there may be an option to send to iTunes . This means it will go into your iTunes library.
    You may be able to edit it later . Not 100% tho
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals