Motherboard power connectors

Last week I replaced my motherboard/cpu/memory and whilst the new setup booted up, it then shutdown after about 5-10mins and went into a bootloop.
I have no idea how to diagnose this but as I was mulling it over I realised the motherboard had a 'double' 4-pin 12V ATX connection and I had only used the one 4-pin connection as I had previously.

I have reverted by to my old mb/cpu/memory setup and all is fine but I would like to ask anyone who knows about these things is it likely the I simply used the wrong power connection and the shutdown/bootloop behaviour is a likely result of that?

Thanks

Comments

• joeblags
    joeblags Posts: 169 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2017 at 12:36PM
    you can use a 4 pin and have a working system, I would set it up again outside of the case , the rebooting may be the system shorting out on the case. infact the kids pc upstairs is only using a 4pin into an 8pin connection.

what is the old and what is the new parts, can you swap the ram from the old to the new? unless your new stuff is ddr4. what PSU is it?
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I went from

GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H
    Intel Core i3 530
    4Gb DDR3-1600

Asus Q87M-E
    Intel Core i7 4770
    16Gb DDR3-1600

I think I might also need to say this is for a Plex Media Server which has a HD Homerun freeview recorder. I had recorded 5 tv programs which were very large .ts files and I had just started to transcode them into more manageable .mp4 files when this all happened (one of the reasons for the upgrade is to comfortably handle transcoding)
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    CPU's made in the past few years need the extra power (especially AMD) that's why you have the 2 x 12v 4pin sockets. and why it won't boot with the new components.

If your PSU does not have the 2x4 pins you CAN get a splitter for a few £ to turn the 4 pin CPU in to the 8pin version.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/8-pin-12v-cpu-to-4-pin-14v-power-cable-03m-a50gn
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • joeblags
    joeblags Posts: 169 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2017 at 1:04PM
    it should boot regardless or weather it has the 8 or 4 pin, I have several systems and have when testing parts my self had working systems of all types working with just a 4 pin, you say you had it working so assuming you was working the CPU a fair bit?

quote from else were

The 4-pin +12V connector is rated for a minimum of 264w. (HCS terminals as the minimum have been required since 2005.)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1488279/is-4-pin-cpu-power-connection-enough-juice-for-i7-4770k
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My PSU does have the 2 4-pin connectors but I made the mistake of only using 1 as I had previously, a simple mistake on my part, I will try again with the 2 4-pins connected but I just wanted to know if the behaviour I described is the likely result of only using 1 4-pin - with some hefty transcoding going on as well.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport