Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

Level washing machine, not tiled under units.

New Post Advanced Search

Level washing machine, not tiled under units.

8 replies 815 views
chezybezychezybezy Forumite
149 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
Me again,
Been trying to fit the washing machine but as they didn't tile under the unit (even the gap for machine one) the front feet sit on the tiles and back the floor under. The twisty feet don't go low enough. And I just tried thinking it'll be ok and it's managed to move a good few inches, knock the side panel off and scare me half to death in the process. Incidentally I have the same issue with the fridge and eventually when I put the dryer in place. Any tips to level? That self leveling pre mixed concrete? Card won't work.
The joys of moving home.
- Chez

Replies

• Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a few tiles.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Could you put a length of wood under the back and/or front feet? I did that with my cooker as the floor was wonky
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy some tiles as close as you can to the ones already on the floor. We had to do this when we removed all the built-in appliances when we moved here.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I placed a piece of melamine faced chipboard down under my integrated fridge. The board sits a little higher than the vinyl flooring which means I can put a scrap of hardboard down if/when I need to pull the fridge out. The fridge slides very easily on the melamine, and the hardboard will prevent the vinyl being scratched.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • konarkkonark Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Does it harm the machine if it's not level?
  • misspricemissprice Forumite
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    konark wrote: »

Yes, if it's unbalanced it will shake itself apart when it spins.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • EachPennyEachPenny Forumite
    12.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    konark wrote: »

The main problem is with rocking, which it will do if the floor isn't level and the feet aren't adjusted properly.

Even a small amount of rocking places extra strain and wear on the drum bearing. Unfortunately many modern machines come with poor quality bearings which also cannot be replaced - so when the bearing fails (which it will) you have the choice of buying a new drum, or buying a new washing machine. In most cases the replacement drum (just the part, no labour) costs as much or more than a new machine so it can be an expensive lesson in the importance of leveling your washing machine properly :(

On the plus side, the final moments of a washing machine's life can be pretty spectacular if the bearing fails... so it isn't all negative ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • misspricemissprice Forumite
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    EachPenny wrote: »

On the plus side, the final moments of a washing machine's life can be pretty spectacular if the bearing fails... so it isn't all negative ;)

Confirm, spectacular :whistle:
    Not that I learned this particular lesson til about machine 3.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support