What to do with an old TV?

Options
We have just been able to update our TV; but what to do with the old one? I have tried all the local freecycle groups, Lions and Community groups and there are no takers!
Any suggestions gratefully received.
That's Numberwang!

Comments

• Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    I've found with things like tvs that advertising them a couple of times on Freecycle works - sometimes people just presume they've gone already so don't bother to reply.

The other thing to try is on a dry day pop it outside your house with a note on to take it if it's any use to anyone... that's worked for us too on occasion but obviously depends on your area.

Otherwise your local council amenities site (dump) will have an area for disposing of electrical goods and some tips have arrangements where anything salvageable is sold on by the tip owner...
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I gave our old one to some very grateful students via freecycle. Hope it doesn't end up on top of a wheelie bin at the end of the year.:)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    Have you tried advertising it in your local paper or supermarket? If you're willing and able to deliver locally, that could be a good selling point. I wouldn't offer it for free in a newspaper though (at least not before trying to sell it for, say, £10) or you might get inundated with calls.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    You could just take it to your local tip - most councils break them up and re-cycle them anyway to the environmental impact will be small.
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Trying to avoid dumping it though as it works really well!!
    That's Numberwang!
  • ollyk
    ollyk Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    You could just take it to your local tip - most councils break them up and re-cycle them anyway to the environmental impact will be small.

Yeah and they most likely get shipped to China :rolleyes:
  • ollyk
    ollyk Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    morganb wrote: »
    Trying to avoid dumping it though as it works really well!!

what model of telly is it?
  • mascherano
    Options
    ollyk wrote: »
    Yeah and they most likely get shipped to China :rolleyes:
    dismantling electronics is very well paid in china
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hurrah! After NINE adverts on freecyle it finally went yesterday evening ...
    That's Numberwang!
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I took our old TV to the skip last week. It was about 20 years old and was knackered. I'd read something about disposing of old TV's and how you have to be careful because they're toxic or something. I asked him if there was any special place to put the TV (there are places for old fridges, batteries, washing machines etc, but nothing for TV's that I could see). He pointed to the crusher and said that was as special a place as I was going to get. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure