Do I need an Architect?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to hopefully to do some remodelling of the downstairs in our terraced house. Ideally we would like to expand our kitchen so there is room for a kitchen table in there. Currently it is a long galley kitchen. The front of our property is composed of the kitchen, adjacent to a hallway with stairs up, and then a garage. We were thinking that we can knock down the wall into the hallway between the kitchen and the hallway into the garage to make a further bigger room. I would imagine that at least one of those walls will be a supporting wall. What I am confused to is what order to do things in? I am not sure what the possible is with the designs we have in our head for the redesign of the layout. We aren't sure if they are structural walls what we need to do and we need some advice. Should we be looking at a builder to do these things or should we get an architect? What are the advantages if any of us getting an architect for this? I have read that we will at least need a structural engineer to give us the correct beams to use for support. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Get an architect, or an architect technician (cheaper, especially if you know what you want). They can draw up the plans and sort out building control for you. They'll be able to advise on some structural aspects - but ultimately you'll need a structural engineer to work out calculations for you (using the plans you provide, combined with perhaps a visit themselves to measure up). With the plans and calculations, you'll be able to pass these out for quotes from builders - and know that you can compare on price as they'll be quoting for the same thing.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't use an architect for a relatively small amount of wall bashing. If you have an idea of what you want to do, I would go straight to the structural engineer to find out if it's possible.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • bpk101
    bpk101 Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends how 'designed' you want the space and how flexible you are with builders interpreting structural engineers drawings as opposed to detailed architects drawings.

I'm a fussy b**ger (designer myself) and used an architect for a relatively small kitchen extension just because i wanted the details to be right. We had a lot of little luxury extras (oversized pocket door entrance, flat glass roof light, long frameless window, floor to ceiling level access frameless patio door etc) and i felt an architect was right for the job. She was also on hand to make sure the builders followed the plans and got these small details spot on.

If i'd used a structural engineer only i think the builders would have had a lot more freedom to do things the way they wanted to, not necessarily wrong but we all have different ideas and tastes.

A word of advice though, when you do go out to tender... make sure they're cost covers everything in the plans and triple check the scope of work that comes back from them with your architect / structural engineer to make sure they've listed everything required. Don't sign until the contract is tight.

We had a nightmare with items being overlooked in the quoting process (big items too like underpinning) which meant delicate discussions later on about who should foot the bill for missing items. I think a lot of builders just scan the drawings thinking it's a standard job only to discover later that the plans were more detailed than they'd expected. I presumed they'd quoted correctly and didn't run the contract / SOW past my architect to check. Wished i had!
  • Senseicads
    Options
    I think part of our issue is that we are not entirely sure which is the beat way to do certain things. Hence us thinking an architect might be better.
  • magn8p
    magn8p Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I second Doozergirl - go to structural engineer straight away if you know what you are going to do with the space you open up and have a well rated builder.
  • Chickereeeee
    Options
    You need a clear idea of what you want before engaging anybody, really. However, you need to know what is possible before you firm up your ideas.

Been there, and done the the builder-architect-structural engineer-builder- (etc) infinite loop.

Suggest best first step is structural engineer, to look at walls and advise what is possible. Then you know the space options you have to work with. Then think about what you want. Maybe call in a kitchen planner to help come up with options.

Refine thoughts, then Architect (if complex/expensive) or builder (if not too complex). Or get quotes+ideas from both, and see if architect can justify his 'extra' cost to you.

C
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport