which bank now...

Options
Hi All,
I'm a little stuck as to what to do now with my current account. I've been with TSB since March this year but they have an irritating lack of online contact and no branches near me, that I want to move...

But, wanting to make as much as I can from interest etc. I'm struggling to figure out whether I should move and who I should move to...

I was with HSBC for years, then moved to First Direct, and now to TSB. I also have accounts with Santander, Nationwide, Bank of Scotland, Tesco and Lloyds.

I currently get £5 cashback a month from TSB and less than £4 in interest. Can I beat that elsewhere? There's the B account and Halifax or Co-Op but I seem to have been through everything else. Any advice?

Thanks...

Comments

• mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    I am in pretty much same situation as you. I have opened a B account and applied to switch my TSB classic plus.

However, I also logged onto TSB and applied for a second account (a Classic account). This takes 15 seconds and was up and running the next day.

Once my Classic Plus is switched, I will 'upgrade' the new classic ac to a classic plus and start getting the interest again.

I could, of course, have just switched the new classic account but I didn't realise it would be up and running so quickly and anyway it felt like taking the p... a bit too much to switch a day old account
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    Both B and Halifax bonuses will dwarf any interest the TSB account will get you.

However, why not have both? You can open a second TSB account (normal Classic account), move your direct debits to that, and switch from there, leaving your 3% account free to have whatever put in it to gain interest. It only needs a minimum of £500 paid in, per month to get the 3% (no direct debits).
    Halifax doesn't pay interest, only rewards, which is the same amount if you have 50p in there or £50'000. And B's is so pitiful it's almost pointless leaving any money in there.

Take your pick from B or Halifax to switch to. Co-Op have no switch offer, at present.
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I just tried to open a second TSB account. Just Classic and not Classic Plus. But it doesn't seem quite as simple as I thought. They've just texted, asking me to call them. What has happened? I don't want to say, I'm just opening it to move to a B account so what do I say?
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    They didn't ask me to call - maybe it varies. A good response is you want a second acount to pay bills from, leaving the other account for your spending money
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    First time I opened a second account, with TSB, they just wanted to confirm some security details.
    Hasn't happened in the other occasions I've opened an account.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Both B and Halifax bonuses will dwarf any interest the TSB account will get you.

However, why not have both? You can open a second TSB account (normal Classic account), move your direct debits to that, and switch from there, leaving your 3% account free to have whatever put in it to gain interest. It only needs a minimum of £500 paid in, per month to get the 3% (no direct debits).
    Halifax doesn't pay interest, only rewards, which is the same amount if you have 50p in there or £50'000. And B's is so pitiful it's almost pointless leaving any money in there.

Take your pick from B or Halifax to switch to. Co-Op have no switch offer, at present.

B is the better option though, right? I'll make more money that way anyway. Although, perhaps Halifax easier to deal with as they have lots of branches. I'm in London and B only have one.

I wonder how they both are with online stuff? Do they both have banking apps? Can I contact them via the website, rather than having to sit on a phone line for half any hour in a queue?
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,000 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't want to say, I'm just opening it to move to a B account so what do I say?

Tell them you wanted an extra ac to keep separate savings for a house deposit (car, bike, xmas, wedding, nose job....).
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    B offers the better bonus, for sure. I'd go for that before they pull it. Halifax's switch bonus tends to come back round often. Sometimes at £75, sometimes higher. So you can probably do that switch at a later date as well. Once you have the B bonus there is nothing to stop you switch that account out to another bonus offerer.

Note you can use Yorkshire Bank or Clydesdale branches, for your B account as well.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    B offers the better bonus, for sure. I'd go for that before they pull it. Halifax's switch bonus tends to come back round often. Sometimes at £75, sometimes higher. So you can probably do that switch at a later date as well. Once you have the B bonus there is nothing to stop you switch that account out to another bonus offerer.

Note you can use Yorkshire Bank or Clydesdale branches, for your B account as well.

Thanks. Your're right, the Halifax deal will probably be around again sometime soon.

There are no Yorkshire or Clydesdale banks anywhere near me I don't think.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, I'd go for the B account and then switch again after 2-3 months (once you have the bonus paid ;)).
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure