Groupon Tickets

Options
Hi all - firstly apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I did search but couldn't see it.

I bought tickets from Groupon which they listed as Cat B. When we collected them before the show we were actually given Cat C tickets. There was no help available to us on the evening and we ended up speaking to Ticket Factory. Ticket Factory told us that they had only given Groupon Cat B and Cat C which, on their website they were selling as Cat A and Cat B so Groupon were mis-selling them.

As we had paid for a mid range ticket and then been stuck right at the back in the cheap seats we were understandably put out. We have been contacting Groupon over the past few weeks and are now at the point where Groupon are going to refund us but only in Groupon credits. I have asked that they refund the card used to pay but they are telling me that as the voucher was redeemed they cannot do that. Obviously we wouldn't have been aware of any discrepancy until the vouchers had been redeemed.
Now, as they mis-sold the tickets in the first place isn't this breaching my consumer rights? Do we have to accept the credits or can we insist on a refund to card?

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It depends how far you want to take it.

At this stage you can't actually make them do anything, only the courts can do that.

The problem you have is that you actually went ahead and used the tickets, this leaves you in a weakened position where all you really have now is a case for "loss of Enjoyment". This is pretty hard to prove and doesn't get you a full refund.

If you refused to use the tickets because they were not as described then you could have been in a position where their breach of contract would have entitled you to a full refund as well as all consequential losses such as travel costs and anything else directly related to the night in question.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Accept the credits, you've attended the event, you cannot expect a full refund.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • D4mm53l
    Options
    Thanks both,

I wasn't claiming a full refund, only partial. Groupon have actually offered a full refund in credits though. That's fine. I know that we used the tickets, on the night they weren't available to help us though so it was a case of use the tickets or miss the show completely.

If my best option is to take the credits then I'll do that. Thanks again.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A full refund in credits is a result, considering the circumstances. Well done
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure