Can we reclaim personal accident insurance

Options
HI, my husband took an unsolicited phone call some time ago from an personal accident company who talked him into taking out a policy. We intended to cancel but it just never got done and so it ran for several years. Last year I found the paperwork and contract for the insurance and it states that you are not covered for a claim that is the result of...'sickness disease, injury or naturally occurring condition or degenerative process'. My husband has multiple sclerosis and so if he ever had to claim I expect they would refuse by suggesting that his accident was due to his illness. He remembers telling them he had MS but was still encouraged to take out the policy. I have since cancelled the policy but I am wondering if we could claim back out payments as the policy was not appropriate for him?
Does anyone have a similar experience or some advice?
Thanks, Janet

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nothing you have said suggests you have any right to a refund.

The fact that the insurance was sold over the 'phone is irrelevant.

If you husband disclosed to them his medical condition, you should have been sold a policy which covered this. However, if he didn't disclose the condition then that is not the fault of the insurance company.

Why do you simply "expect" that the insurance would not have covered him?

Wouldn't it be wise to seek absolute clarity from the insurance company?

This is the PPI board, incidentally...
  • janoggy
    Options
    Thanks, I think?
    Hubby did declare MS
    Forum says PPI and other insurance, my mix up?

I'll get in touch with the company and ask nicely

:-)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    janoggy wrote: »
    Thanks, I think?
    Hubby did declare MS
    So you said. That makes the likelihood that he wasn't covered remote I'm afraid.

You have no right to a refund unless the policy was mis-sold to you. What you have said doesn't appear to be mis-selling, just "buyer remorse". You don't get a refund simply because you haven't suffered a claimable event.

By all means "ask nicely", but expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.

Sorry.
  • janoggy
    Options
    no worries :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business