Car Insurance HELP?

Options
I've been overpaying for my car insurance for a while with elephant but just haven't got around to switching provider. I've also had a few problems with elephant that has made me want to move (such as me driving around uninsured which I wasn't aware of until I phoned them)!

So eventually they told me that my insurance was going up to £97 so I decided it was time for a change. So, I went on to a compare website and the cheapest was Admiral (which I think were actually the same company?!) and they were £45 a month so a great saving!

So, I took out my insurance with Admiral and phoned Elephant to cancel. The guy didn't try to offer me any better deals which I found strange and said that I had to pay a £25 cancellation fee which was fine because I thought it was actually £50! He didn't mention anything about any further payments to be made so I presumed that was us done. Following the phone call, I cancelled the DD as it was due to come out a few days later.

Since then I've been getting letters from Elephant saying I owe them £140 (I have NO idea where they've got that figure from!) with no reason as to why I owe it? Surely you pay your car insurance in advance so I was perfectly within my rights to cancel the DD? They also phone me about 7 times a day but as I work all day so haven't had the chance to talk to them.

I am planning on phoning them back but am just wondering what everyone thought in regards to the money and whether I owe it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Ask them to break down the £140 and why you owe it, and take it from there.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    amycurley wrote: »
    I've been overpaying for my car insurance for a while with elephant but just haven't got around to switching provider. I've also had a few problems with elephant that has made me want to move (such as me driving around uninsured which I wasn't aware of until I phoned them)!

So eventually they told me that my insurance was going up to £97 so I decided it was time for a change. So, I went on to a compare website and the cheapest was Admiral (which I think were actually the same company?!) and they were £45 a month so a great saving!

So, I took out my insurance with Admiral and phoned Elephant to cancel. The guy didn't try to offer me any better deals which I found strange and said that I had to pay a £25 cancellation fee which was fine because I thought it was actually £50! He didn't mention anything about any further payments to be made so I presumed that was us done. Following the phone call, I cancelled the DD as it was due to come out a few days later.

Since then I've been getting letters from Elephant saying I owe them £140 (I have NO idea where they've got that figure from!) with no reason as to why I owe it? Surely you pay your car insurance in advance so I was perfectly within my rights to cancel the DD? They also phone me about 7 times a day but as I work all day so haven't had the chance to talk to them.

I am planning on phoning them back but am just wondering what everyone thought in regards to the money and whether I owe it.

Thanks in advance!

Your premium is annual, you chose to pay for it monthly, you still have to clear the 12 months payments, there maybe other admin fees on top to cancel.
    From looking at your post, you only seem to be interested in the bits that you want to read/hear.
    But what you really don't want is negative info on your insurance history, as renewals will only pose difficult expensive or both.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your post is a little vague.

Why were you driving around uninsured? Was it because the policy renewed and you didn't pay it?

When did the policy go up to £97pm? Was it at renewal?

They are in their right to charge you a cancellation fee, and for time on cover from when the policy renewed, until the day you cancelled it.
  • societys_child
    Options
    As post #3
    You're not paying per month for the insurance.

You're repaying the loan you took out, to buy your annual policy (on credit) and obviously, the loan must be re-paid
  • amycurley
    Options
    If this was true, I would owe a lot more than the £140 they are charging me. My renewal is up in February so I would essentially need to pay up until February and we would be talking about £500.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    amycurley wrote: »
    If this was true, I would owe a lot more than the £140 they are charging me. My renewal is up in February so I would essentially need to pay up until February and we would be talking about £500.

Perhaps the letter you have recieived is for the missed payment £97 + admin fee?
    The next letter could be for £237.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport