Cabot still recording old debt on credit file as a credit card

Options
I'm on a dmp with CCCS and one of my old debts, a credit card with Barclaycard, was sold on to Cabot Finance. Obviously, I do not have access to the Barclaycard credit card anymore and the credit card account is now closed.

However, Cabot Finance are still recording the old debt as a "live" credit card on my credit file even though it is no longer as such. None of my other creditors have done this even though some of their debt also originated on credit cards.

By doing so, they are giving a false and distorted impression upon my credit file. Whilst I appreciate the fact that the debt originated on a credit card, is it now an just an unsatisfied unpaid debt which I am gradually repaying. Are Cabot allowed to do this?
DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
28th October 2019 -
£13,505 - 27% paid off.
Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely its a default and Cabot have now registered the default in their name?
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 October 2017 at 1:07PM
    Options
    I'm not sure if it was ever defaulted actually by either Barclaycard or by Cabot. My main issue is they are reporting it on my credit file as a "live / active " credit card when it is not. It should be reported as "Other Accounts", as per my other old debts.

I will dig out my old paperwork from Barclaycard and Cabot to see if either of them did issue a default.
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Whilst I appreciate the fact that the debt originated on a credit card, it it now just an unsatisfied unpaid debt which I am gradually repaying. Are Cabot allowed to do this?

Hi,

Yes they are, the debts origins are in no way connected to how the debt is reported on your credit file.

Has the account been defaulted, it will show a "date of default" if it has ?

Occasionally it will be marked as an "arrangement to pay" instead of a default, what they are doing is perfectly normal.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure