Rated people warning

I posted a job on there a few days ago. One person living far away quoted almost three times what I ended up paying for the job.

I ended up going for the one that was local and alot cheaper. The guy that didn't get the job started sending texts that "his children wouldn't be able to eat next week because of me" and used several different mobile numbers to call me on and just started shouting and swearing that I had wasted his time and money because he had to pay to quote me.

Since then my number has suddenly started having half a dozen junk calls a day where as it used to have none.

Rated people haven't replied to my messages and I can't rate the guy as I didn't accept his quote.

Just a warning and it's best off to use a second mobile number as they give your number out and there are some scam artists on the site.

Comments

• GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yup. After my experience of these sites I wouldn't"'t use them or any similar ones again. The problem is that they do pay to be able to quote you but they should build that into their quotes.

Even those commercial sites won't appreciate that type of activity so hopefully should take it up with the builder.
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    We almost used it once, but the plumber who came to give a quote made us feel really uncomfortable.

On top of getting bad vibes from him, when we told him we still needed a couple more quotes before deciding (it was a job worth several thousand) he became very pushy, saying he'd paid Rated People to get our details and we should reimburse him if we decided not to accept his quote!

I'd never touch that or any similar site with a bargepole after that experience.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • When moving to my new house on the other side of London, I used Rated People as I knew no one in the area. Found a really good guy first time round (lost his number now) but now I have become particularly weary about using it and giving my number out in similar ways. I had one person face time me and random hours of the night and after one guy visited and spent literally 10 seconds assessing my garden for work that needed doing, a few days later a load of my garden tools were stolen including a lawnmower, trimmer and leaf blower.

I have also had people get upset over the fact that they paid for the lead but never got the work. One other person, an electrician, I got lucky with. Half the price of most but does a decent job (though you can see why he is cheap). Stopped using the stuff now.

Still desperately looking for a monthly gardener so any tips where to look willl be great.
  • When moving to my new house on the other side of London, I used Rated People as I knew no one in the area. Found a really good guy first time round (lost his number now) but now I have become particularly weary about using it and giving my number out in similar ways. I had one person face time me and random hours of the night and after one guy visited and spent literally 10 seconds assessing my garden for work that needed doing, a few days later a load of my garden tools were stolen including a lawnmower, trimmer and leaf blower.

I have also had people get upset over the fact that they paid for the lead but never got the work. One other person, an electrician, I got lucky with. Half the price of most but does a decent job (though you can see why he is cheap). Stopped using the stuff now.

Still desperately looking for a monthly gardener so any tips where to look willl be great.

Have you tried asking in your local garden centre?Many centres get to know their local gardener's.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What do people think of Checkatrade by comparison?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Used something similar when we wanted a couple of shrubs removing and concrete slabs laid (for a small greenhouse base, so nothing fancy).

He wanted £600. We were so annoyed, we managed to do it ourselves!

In hindsight, he did seem to have a good look at our house, so I'm guessing that the thought that he could try it on because 'we could afford it'.

Since then, we've been very lucky - any work has been carried out by people who's work we have seen and who have been recommended by friends.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    buglawton wrote: »

I got a roofer off there. Very good, and not expensive.

They obviously pay to advertise but not per job they quote for.

The roofer was very keen that we fill in a feedback form for the website. He reminded us a couple of times.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    buglawton wrote: »

All these paid-for-referrals websites are the same - garbage.

I trust, in this order:
    • Personal referral from someone I know
    • Personal referral from another tradesman who has done work for me and I trust
    • Personal referral from someone I don't know but have seen the work done on their property
    • https://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/home/
    • Which Local
  • I used Trusted Traders a while back. I had two quotes for landscaping both very similar, I tried two other companies but they didn't turn up. True to form I chose the wrong one and now have a decorative stone (shingle) with hard core/weeds showing through and a patio approx 4 inches above the DPC, I specifically asked for it to be lower than the old patio which I suspect is still underneath. I was met with stupid comments when I tried to activate the guarantee and now they just ignore me and, yes, I have backed off for fear of what they might do.
    I have used Checkatrade in the past and found my brilliant handyman and at one time a really good electrician. I seem to recall that they actually called me after the jobs were finished before I added a review.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Half the price of most but does a decent job (though you can see why he is cheap).
    Sounds like a contradiction.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business